Chapter XV

Sad, sad chapter

Now, you read.

Enjoy:*

The way to the town had taken too long. Again, my senses perceived my actions really slowly although my movements were abnormally fast and my adrenaline was really high although I had no fever inside. As we arrived into the town, the first place we wanted to check was the local school.

Before checking the building we took under consideration the theory that the place was too public and James, roaming the street uncontrollably, could have been easy to spot and to expose. We wouldn’t have wanted that and neither would’ve he. In the end, we decided to give it a try and not leave any place unsearched.

“There is nothing here. His friends told me they didn’t see him. We should get going before he gets too far and lost. There are plenty of places left and I’m afraid we don’t have much time.”

While Adam was talking, a feeling of sadness changed my mood. James and I, both have been gone, in fact, completely vanished out of the sight for 2 months and all this time nobody did anything to show a little alarm or do something about it. I felt nothing because, personally, I didn’t care; I kept hoping that I could have been gone in 3-4 months. Thinking about James though, brought tears to my eyes and anger in my soul. Nobody who had gotten the best out of his companionship and his trust or whatever they wanted, did anything even risible to make sure he’s… alive at least.

Then a brilliant idea crossed my tangled thoughts.

“The hideout! You said he was the one to find them in the first place, right? He surely knows where they are. If he’s not here, the next stop is at the mall, besides there are less people roaming.”

“I like your leading but he can’t go inside. It is locked 3 times.”

“Do you really think he needs a key? He can melt the door with one fist. What are we even talking about, we’re wasting time. C’mon!”

We literally sneaked through the school yard and the stadium and we succeeded in staying hidden all the way to Adam’s place. When we got there, Adam had a shock but really, I was not surprised at all. The door was smashed, scattered into pieces all over the floor and the inside was vandalized. I entered the room slowly and heard sounds coming out from the bathroom.

“Let me do the talking.”

“I’ll let you do everything.” Adam said, “I don’t want to face my death one more time in a day.”

I was insanely uneasy and I counted each step carefully all the way to the bathroom’s door. With my hand on the knob, I took a really deep breath, looked up into the roof and once again I felt my senses boosting to full dexterity as I opened the door and I saw nothing.

It was dark, no light was turned on and suddenly every single sound in that room had gone mute. Only the beatings of my heart could ensure me I wasn’t deaf.

I braced up and stretched out to reach the light switch to turn it on.

“Turn it off!”

“James! Are you...?”

“Turn that fucking light off!”

His shout made me even more anxious, but once I turned it off he looked straight up to me and I realized his eyes could have lighten up a whole room. I wasn’t scared. Lately, even if my system and my senses were all over the limit, my feelings started to fade away. I had no expression, I was always careless and sometimes even mean. All of that changed when I was with James. He literally… turned me on, like a light.