Three

The night I had killed the vampire they called Sasha haunted my dreams. Each time I closed my eyes my body would shudder as the feeling of forcing the axe blade to break through something living, even if she technically was undead, vibrated through my arms and if it wasn't that nightmare I would be in a pit of snakes that licked my body.

Waking up gasping I was drenched in sweat despite the coldness of my bedroom. The blankets were in a twisted pile at the end of the bed and half on the floor. Tonight it had been a different dream and my arm ached as the scar seemed to throb in time to my hearts frantic pounding.

I hated how it did that.

The fact they called it a mark was playing on my mind and I knew it had to mean something; it was always reacting with my body and emotions and that scared me more than anything.

Taking a deep breath I got up, grabbing a hair tie from the bedside table my hair was damp and stuck to my neck. Having it put up helped cool me down and going into the tiny bathroom, the light flicked unsteadily not helping comfort me as I held the mark under the cold water. But tonight it didn't help ease the burn and each time I blinked the hollow black eyes of the vampire who did it stared back at me. It was only two o'clock in the morning and dawn was a good few hours away. Work would be hell if I didn't go back to sleep but even so, it would be better than the one that had taken over my dreams. Going back to bed, the time to get up came too soon.

Mandy drove us in; casting worried looks in my direction every two seconds not happy with the fact I wouldn't stay home. It wasn't as if I could take time off work. I wasn't injured. Not physically at least and hiding in our apartment wouldn't help anything. All week vampires I served acted normally, clearly unable to detect whatever this marking thing was about or that I had killed one of their own not even a week ago. But Mandy knew and each one had her glaring at them, her eyes never leaving me as if she was waiting for me to break down.

She should know me better than that.

"What is going on with you today Mandy?" Owen stared at her expectantly as Mandy's eyes drifted back to me and knowing that meant something was going on between us, he was now looking at me too. "Lu?"

"Woman problems" I shrugged, spraying the disinfectant on the grocery belt and kept on cleaning. That answer shut any man up from asking further questions and this was no exception as he backed away.

"You should ask him, he knows stuff about vamps" She whispered angrily, standing in front of my register she glanced back to where Owen now stood staring at a noticeboard in a bid to avoid hearing anything he might not want to.

"Or me since I am one" Somehow I'd missed Luke coming in and Mandy and I both squealed at his surprise inclusion to our conversation. That was the problem with being so tired, you weren't as aware of your surroundings and these days that could get you killed.

It didn't take long for Owen to come over, staring at Luke who only seemed amused.

"Everything ok here?" It was the second time he had been seen startling me and to Owen that made him a threat.

"Its fine, thanks" He nodded, still staring at Luke who only smiled and went back by the door. "I don't know if I should tell you"

"Well, how about this. I'll be at the Corner Mile tonight. Come by if you change your mind" He walked out confidently and Mandy was nearly beside herself as I was seriously thinking about it. Sure people still went out at night and the rules of the nightclubs were clear to all but it just easier and safer to just avoid them.

"Are you suicidal?" She practically screamed it as I shushed her; thankful Owen was on the phone to Mr. Sloan.

"No. But I really want to know"