Fourteen

Monday morning found me alone in bed and stretching out, I was quickly reminded about the pain in my side. Lifting my shirt I had another bruise to add to my collection and awkwardly got up, heading out into the living area only to find it unoccupied.

Where was Dominik?

Looking around the apartment it was definitely empty and unlocking the front door I peeked outside. No guards, no vampires, nothing. Passing the dining table I saw the piece of paper and skimmed over it. He had gone out, he asked me to stay and I knew this was a test. If I failed, what would the punishment be? I decided not to risk it, not yet at least.

Going through the fridge I found enough things to make an omelet with and without a knife to cut up the bacon I was happy to find a pair of scissors which was better than trying to tear things apart with my hands. As I ate, I wondered about Mandy, my parents and Owen. I missed Mandy more than anyone. We’d spent practically every day together for the last few years and now the no contact was hard. So after breakfast I went hunting for a phone.

It was nearly ten before I gave up, but surely someone in this building had to have one. Forgetting I was unarmed and in my pajamas I headed to the neighbors.

“Hi, can I please borrow your phone?”

 “Are you lost?” The woman looked tired, definitely vampire and I wasn’t ready to fight her over a phone call 

“No, I am with Nik but he doesn’t have a phone” She looked towards his door and I didn’t miss the nervous way she blinked as she did so or how she seemed to sniff me and frown. She closed the door and I was about to knock again when she reappeared and passed me her mobile.

“Return it when ever” I didn’t get to thank her before she had closed the door again and the distinct click of locks being done up followed.

“Thanks” I mumbled, heading back into his apartment I got comfortable of the sofa and put in Mandy’s’ number. He asked me not to leave and besides I’d be finished before he even knew I had made the call.

“Hello Mandy speaking?” She greeted, completely unsure of who was calling.

“Mands, its me”

“Oh my god! Lucy!!” Mandy screamed into the phone and I had to hold it away from my ear for a second until the sound died down. “Are you ok? Owen just arrived this morning, Luke told him to get out of town”

“Luke’s not there?"

“No he refused to leave. Are you ok?” Now I was worried. If Dominik knew I had got Curtis to tell them all to leave town and Luke didn’t, could that be where he was now?

“I’m fine. How are you?” Mandy quickly told me about my parents and how she was glad Cam came with Owen but the important part was they were all ok and away from here.

“Lu, be careful. No hero bullshit, remember?”

“I know Mandy, I just don’t know what’s going to happen. But please make sure you tell everyone I love them and….”

“That sounds like a goodbye. We’re not doing that ok? If you do that, you’ve given up and you can’t” Her voice was breaking and I could imagine her crying. Where was everyone else, Cam should be there comforting her.

“Where is everyone?”

“Breakfast. They headed down to the pier but I didn’t want to go” I nodded even though she couldn’t see me.

“Nice. I made an omelet and since all the knives got taken away I was left tearing bits apart until I found scissors” She laughed, sniffing and I knew I had distracted her from the reality that this could be the last time we spoke.