Fifteen

It was Wednesday before Dominik spoke to me again; well it was more an order not an actual conversation. Luke had told me in the old days vampires’ marked humans to keep them safe and in return, they were able to feed from them. The whole idea made my skin crawl and I wanted no part in that.

Time was running out and being kept in the apartment was making me nervous. The blood moon was tomorrow night and it seemed that with his feeding off me, it fixed up my aches as well. To keep busy and I starting working out, knowing Gerri’s routine by heart. I had just finished doing squats against the wall and started on some star jumps when Dominik came into the room. I still had no intention of talking to him and couldn’t stop the relief at seeing Curtis appearing behind him. Considering I was in my underwear the moment of surprise of having him walk in was short lived as Dominik threw the robe in my direction. I ignored that too and started to stretch instead.

“Hi Lu” Curtis greeted, not looking at me as Dominik only glared at the pair of us.

“Hey “Gather your things, we’re leaving” Dominik walked out but he had my attention now.

“Leaving? Can I go home?” I asked hopefully and Curtis shook his head, still not looking at me. Grabbing the towel I wiped my brow and stomach, throwing on my jeans and a jumper finally he looked at me. “Curtis?”

“We’re going to Nik’s place”

“Aren’t we already here?” I didn’t like this.

“Where do you think I get clothes from and disappear to each day?” Dominik reappeared, “We go, now 

“I don’t want to”

“I don’t care” Dominik yelled at me, taking a deep breath he turned to Curtis. “If she doesn’t leave in five minutes, do what you have to do”

He left us alone and I sat on the bed, did Curtis know that Dominik knew about him and Luke?

“Come on, don’t make this any harder” Curtis begged, coming to sit beside me.

“Have you seen Luke? Nik knew I got you to move Owen away”

“Yeah I have. We’re working on something. You know if we cant keep you human, Luke will change you” It was hard to think I met Curtis in the street when he defended us against Darvid. It seemed like a lifetime ago now and like Luke, I felt comfortable around him. I think it was more a survival instinct than anything as I was confident that should he attack, I could defeat him 

“Please let me die” Luke missed his family and didn’t want them to be cursed like he was, so he didn’t change them and Dominik wanted to be human again so why make me go through it?

“I can’t let you do that. Neither can Luke. Sorry Lu, it is what it is” He got up and got my bag from the bedside table. “Is this packed?”

“No. What does it matter if I’m just going to die anyway?” The only thing I wanted was the watcher boots. They were comfortable and I could fight in them as that’s what I intended to do. I stopped in the kitchen, grabbing the scissors. It was the only thing with a blade in this place and I needed something no matter how small. 

“Well, you’d have some clothes to start off with” Curtis mumbled, grabbing it anyway and followed me down the hall. I was expecting Dominik to be here but he wasn’t and looked at Curtis. “He’s going to meet us there, he took the bike and I get the car” He dangled the keys in his hand and we went to the car. It was one in the afternoon; vampires are weaker during the daylight hours, more human with their abilities. 

The car pulled out of the undercover parking and I waited.

At the second set of traffic lights no one was around and as we stopped at the red light, I slipped the scissors up from the side of my boot and glanced over at Curtis who was nodding along to a song on the radio.