Ten

"Hello Lulu, miss me?"

If I had been more prepared I could have beaten Michael but I wasn't and now here I was even more defenseless in front of him. In the last three years I had prepared myself for the chance he would come back only I had hoped to take a page from Buffy's book and be waiting for him in some kind of cute but practical outfit, weapon in hand for a battle of epic proportions.

Clearly that wasn't happening.

"Girls!" We instantly turned to see Owen running down the street and at his arrival the two vampires feeding off Michael stopped, sniffing the air they left the corpse and walked towards us their eyes trained on Owen as Terry joined him.

Our cavalry had arrived.

But our own distraction didn't go unpunished and I was ripped away from Mandy's side, the firm body behind me that smelt like leather and cigarettes holding me tightly I found her gaze and the terror in her eyes only caused mine to triple.

"Come with now and I won't kill your friends" He growled in my ear and panic blocked my mind from comprehending what he had actually just said. From behind Terry and Owen I saw two more vampires chasing them as the trio headed forward eagerly and the red of Michael's blood was smeared around their faces like a warriors paint, ready for battle. They were newborns, but still five against two wasn't a fair fight and Cam ran to help, leaving his place but Ryan was quicker, leaving me in a second his arm came out and knocked Cam over. He managed to get up and watched Ryan closely.

"Cam!" Mandy cried, unable to move as Ryan rolled his neck not bothering to take a similar defense stand that Cam had. He didn't need to, Cam didn't pose a threat. My mind was in overdrive as Cam took a swing. I could stop this; I just had to go with him.

"Don't you dare" Mandy warned, knowing full well what I was thinking but then I realized something else.

Vampires can't go inside unless they're invited in.

We needed to get back to our apartment.

If we left, he would chase and the others could get away.

"Come on" I mumbled, my voice hoarse it was hard to work out what I had actually said and grabbing her hand I tugged her back towards the building. Pain throbbed in my back and down my legs, the stairs were going to be impossible but what choice did we have? I barely felt her hand in mine; my skin was red from the cold that was unrelenting in its own attack against us. I opened the door, pushing her in first. "Get to the apartment ok?"

"You better not pull any stupid stunts and lock me up there and play hero!" She warned, dragging me towards the stairs we made it to the first landing before I heard the groan of the door being opened. "Go!"

Mandy shoved me towards the next stairs and losing my balance I grabbed the pole, urging myself on as she didn't move. "Mandy run!"

"Oh my god Luke" I didn't get to turn before I was getting picked up, tossed over his shoulder like a ragdoll I couldn't bring myself to protest and Mandy ran ahead, sprinting down the corridor she opened our door and Luke took me inside, putting me down in the entry he went to walk out.

"Where are you going?" Mandy asked, moving after him. Words were exchanged and leaning against the wall by the kitchen I couldn't be bothered eavesdropping. The fact was, I had taken a beating tonight and I was only human. I had nothing to regenerate me except for time and with Ryan here I guess that was running out.

"Luke wasn't here ok?" I nodded as Mandy locked up the doors and coming back to me she hugged me tightly, pulling away as I flinched in pain. "Sorry"