Nine

Everyone was acting differently after the festival. Being away from work for that week I hadn't been able to notice it. The human customers seemed more aware of the vampire ones, more confident but it wasn't as if the vampires backed down. Each look that lasted that second to long was shot down with their own staring, when lining up the tension was like electricity in the air as the humans pushed in front of the queue or talked in their groups about the blood suckers.

I think the whole event did more harm than good.

"What is with everyone today? Last week wasn't this bad" Mandy muttered as we swept up the entry. The last of the rush had left and after Owen had to break up two fights I had even more questions for him.

"Being able to go out at night has made them think they're invincible" I observed, glancing at Owen as he sat on his stool by the door, rapidly pressing the buttons on his phone. "Hey Mands, why don't you go on break"

Eager to call Cam, she left me her broom and disappeared out the back.

"Mr Stevenson" Owen looked up, locking the phone he put it back in his pocket as he studied me curiously for a moment.

"Yes Miss Dames"  I had to smile at his mockery, the formal use of my name more of a joke than manners.

"Are you.." I lowered my voice in case anyone may have been listening which was highly unlikely, "are you a werewolf?"

His mouth opened slightly as he stared at me in disbelief before coughing uncomfortably. "No. Why would you say that?"

"I know other things exist, it's not just the vampires. I saw your eyes the other day, that was near a full moon and Luke.." He cut off my rambling now only looking pissed off.

"Luke told you I was a werewolf?"

"No. He didn't say anything about you. I was talking to him and he mentioned something about werewolves and I kept pushing but from what he did say, it makes sense"

"I'll kill him" Owen growled, flexing his hands in a bid to release the building rage.

"Owen, please calm down" I didn't think he would act like this but it didn't help make me believe that he wasn't one.

"Owen? You didn't call me Mr. Stevenson" Finding a change in topic I stuck with it. 

"We always call you Owen, its only Mr Stevenson to your face"

"So Luke didn't tell you that I was a werewolf?" He asked again slightly calmer. I quickly shook my head. Did he just admit it?

"I kind of worked it out on my own" He frowned before taking a deep breath.

"You don't have to be afraid of me, you've known me for years and it doesn't change anything"

"I know. I'm more curious than anything" I shrugged, going back to sweeping but Owen didn't offer any more information or conversation until Mandy reappeared grinning like a Cheshire cat.

"Just don't tell her ok?" Nodding I locked my till and headed out the back for my own break. I wonder if he would tell me more about what I wanted to know. Just what else lived on this planet?

"Lucy?" Opening the back door, Luke stood casually outside and I quickly invited him in. 

"Luke, I learnt something out last night. The Night Watchers are planning this big thing with a database"

"I know"

"You do? How?" Michael only told me last night, how he could possibly know was beyond me. 

"I read about it in that file they gave you. You really didn't look at it at all did you? Owen is also in Night Watchers, so are a bunch of other creatures. We have existed for thousands of years; we have to be smarter than humans to live for thousands more" It was like the war after the Coming Out. They set up newborns to fail, they let us think we're winning. We have a festival, people start going out at night again thinking their safe and the authorities think they've got one up on the vampires.