Thirteen

I remained silent for the whole of Sunday. I slept in thirty minute lots and the activity outside my room had my dreams twisted into horrible nightmares and I was certain whatever was going out there was solely for my benefit, a warning of what they were capable of. I don't know how in those few hours the bathroom had been completely fixed up, the curtains replaced and the bed had different sheets but the lock that now kept the windows from opening was still new and sharp, the padlock a shiny gold that had I no chance of unlocking.

My bag was still by the foot of the bed and going through it I was surprised at the level of care that went beyond a jumper and my favorite jeans but a toilet bag and even a picture of Mandy and my parents, all things I missed in my quick grab yesterday afternoon. Finding some bobby pins in the outside pocket I tried to unlock the padlock, not sure where I'd go exactly considering how high up we were but my lack of experience made the movies look like liars. It wasn't as simple as poking it in the keyhole and waiting for a click.

One thing I hadn't been able to verify was the effectiveness of silver crosses so using a hair tie I broke more poles from the empty wardrobe cupboards and made two that I leant against the end of the bed. Silver bullets didn't help kill them but from the vampire I shot in the street, it did hurt them especially in the skull but I was certain I had seen a silver necklace around Luke's neck.

Maybe it was white gold?

The sky was starting to darken when everything went quiet out in the living area, the laughing, screams and savage animal like sounds gone and hesitantly I went near the door. It was locked, no surprises there but I was starving, wishing I had taken Luke up on the second order of food. If I had, maybe they wouldn't have been at the warehouse or maybe he would have decided to go somewhere different and we'd have joined up with my parents or gone somewhere else. There was a lot of should ofs, could ofs and if onlys and if I let myself dwell on them for to long, I'd go as mental as Ryan.

No Dominik.

All this time I had been haunted by that night, broken hearted over the loss of the man I loved and betrayed that he wanted to do the same to me. But everything had been a lie, years of my life wasted over another lie. He wasn't a man, he was a monster.

If only Michael had asked me to join the Night Watchers now.

I want to kill them all. My inner turmoil of accepting them for who and what they were had finally chose a side. I wanted to believe they were as much to blame as us, that there was no greater monster in them than the truly living. Dominik had made me see how blind I had been. The condition of being Human was a disease, it was what was making us weak and unable to see what was going on and that was what they had used to take over. We really were just pawns in their game and that needed to change.

I ripped apart the bedding, the knife I had tucked under the pillow and bedhead had to be there unless he had some amazing housecleaners which wouldn't surprise me considering how efficiently everything had been taken care of. I dropped to the floor, rolling under the bed it was gone and in a last attempt ran my fingers up between the mattress and the bedhead, the sharpness grazing my finger a sob of relief escaped me and tugging at the mattress the blade fell to the carpet and I quickly grabbed it, getting up and remade the bed.

It was still quiet out in the apartment, at least with the bathroom I had access to water and I could have been kept in worse conditions, thinking of the vampires that had been captured by the Night Watchers. Leaving the door I laid down on the floor, deciding to try and keep some fitness and had only done three sit-ups when there was a knock on the door.

"Miss?"

I grabbed the knife from where I left it beside me and got up, heading near the indent of the doorway. "Yes?"