Eleven

We rode for what felt like an eternity, and despite the icy wind cutting into my eyes I tried to keep track of where about in town we were going. By the time we stopped my lips were as dry as my eyes felt while my body had gone stiff from the huddled position I had been forced to hold on the back of the bike. Looking around I realized we had gone down to the wharf region, and if I tried hard enough I could hear the rush of the water hitting the shore nearby. This wasn't an area I'd ever visited despite some development going on trying to make it into one of the new upmarket regions of the city. The only thing I was certain of was Owens warehouse wasn't too far from here and I knew he had a good stash of weapons there, useful things like flame throwers and machetes unlike the Watchers van which had nothing to help me. While my mind focused on how far it would actually be to get there, Ryan got my attention back by waving his hand in front of my face.

"Whatever your thinking, I wouldn't if I was you" He warned, holding out his hand to help me off the now stationary bike I ignored it and swung off on the opposite side and looked up at the building. The white face of the wall was well maintained and the oversized wooden door was varnished so it looked smooth and slippery in the streetlight. Behind us the old storage buildings were still old and neglected but the ones either side of this were covered in scaffolding and signs of the ongoing construction was everywhere.

Ryan's eyes narrowed in on me after refusing his offer and moved so he was behind me to guide us into the building. It was just as nice inside than out, the lobby floor was polished wood floors and the boots I had stolen from the van thudded across them loudly as I made no effort to walk with any kind of care. If Ryan noticed, he didn't show it and pressing the button on the elevator we stood there in silence. It was much nicer than our entrance and the elevator was a luxury our renting price range didn't offer.

"What are you thinking?" He finally broke the silence as the number one lit up as it made its descent down to us.

"How much the rent would be in one of these places" Again we fell into silence and as the doors slid open two women exited, looking at us curiously before the blonde winked at Ryan, not stopping their walk as from the way they were dressed they clearly had some plans tonight.

And they were vampires.

"All the people who live here are vampires. Try to escape and you will be at their mercy," He warned as we went up to the penthouse, swiping a card from his pocket the doors opened into one of the most beautiful rooms I had ever seen. Everything was white with bold splashes of the color around the room but the oversized black chandelier was what grabbed my attention as the tiny crystals reflected the soft light in an almost hypnotizing manner from where it hung a little to low over the dining table in the center of the room.

He let me walk in and I absorbed the room. It lacked that homely feel our apartment offered, everything in there was comfortable and well used where as this felt more like something that belonged in a display home and crossing the room the full length windows that created the outside wall, I could see the specks of color from the lights on the harbor and out in the ocean.

In the morning it would be an amazing view.

"Why did you bring me here?" I turned to find Ryan taking off his jacket as he stood by the control panel near the kitchen wall and after pressing something the hum from the central heating joined us.

"Maybe I wanted some company?"

"You said the building was full of vampires?"

"Human company" Despite sounding annoyed I didn't drop it, turning to look back out the windows he turned off the main lights so only a lamp was on by the TV and the over head lights near the kitchen counter sending the room into a variety of shadows he easily moved amongst.