Finding Mr. Perfect's Flaws [Twenty]

[Twenty]

I love him, I hate him. I hate his freaking guts.

*

You could hear that crack from across the country. As soon as I was done throwing up in a near trashcan, coach called me back into PE. We were doing football, so he could scope out all the athletes before football tryouts today. PE was already hell, but when the football coach teaches it, it amps up a million times. No one was even trying besides the kiss ups to Coach. I had no reason to be here, but he forced everyone to play. He didn't say it, but he wanted to make sure that everyone that is good will try out. Cheater.

"SLATEFORD!" Coach yelled, swinging his arm wildly to the side. I slowly made my way to the field. It was a mad house. Mud was flying, and the weak kids were being tackled to the ground. A guy ran past me, shirtless and red. The football player in training that just broke his wrist was wrestling with a few other football talentless boys. Coach was obviously making the ones he knew would not make the team drag him to the hospital. He was bigger than all the boys, and they were obviously struggling. I hated my school. I hated it.

"What?" I demanded, dragging my feet over to him. When I approached, he took a step away from me. He could obviously smell the barfy smell on me. I was such a wuss. But breaking my leg as a kid and not having anyone around was my limit in hearing anything break. I get woozy. I'm not made of stone.

"Go help them. Rivers is freaking out, but he needs to be fixed by tonight," Coach said, scratching at his bald head. He loved this guy, I could tell. He started shouting at someone on the field then, forgetting my existence. I was more than happy to, I decided as I dragged myself over to the boys. I hated football. I'd rather deal with broken bones. As I got close to the boys struggling over the boy that I've never really looked at before but gawked openly at his PE talent, I heard them all cussing loudly. They were obviously having a very hard time restraining the monster. I knew I wouldn’t do any good, but I might as well try. Coach would probably give me a bad grade, anyway. Or he’d be too busy staring at his minions.

"Let go! I don't need a doctor!" The boy they were trying to restrain cried helplessly. Dark brown flashed under the boys. I sighed, and dove in. As I got close to him, his foot kicked out and slammed against my shin. I gasped in pain and fell onto my butt. The wet grass soaked into my boxers and splashed up onto me. All of the boys stopped to stare, mouths open with shock. The boy with the dark brown hair looked up. His green eyes met mine. He looked angry at first, like he was going to yell at me for getting in the way of his foot. But when he caught my gaze, his expression blanked. It looked like he had never seen me before.

I got up and wiped off the back of my butt. I was still shorter that all of these boys, but I didn't care. I walked over to the boy on the ground. Rivers, as coach had called him. I couldn't remember his first name, though. Coach always called everyone by their last names. This wasn't even his PE class, but Coach loved to take over everything. Especially on tryout day.

"Oh," the dark hair boy said, seeming surprised. "Sorry."

All the other boys stared at me in shock. He was obviously not caring when he kicked them and had done it frequently. But when I fell, he got all calm and still. I just shrugged, and looked at his shoes. He was sitting on the floor as well, the boys standing around him. I didn't know any of the boys’ names. They were all people I avoided. There were five, a totally white guy, a black guy, a Mexican guy, another white guy and Rich. I knew Rich, but I didn't really talk to him. I didn't know his name at that time, either. He was just that nerd that loved to kick people’s butts in front of him in class and blame it on someone else. The joker.