3

Magnus knew something was wrong the second his feet touched the ground of his home.

The usual hum of his protective wards was gone.

'Adelaide.' He whispered.

Before Magnus could even move to check on his shadowhunter, a circle member appeared out of nowhere.

'Warlock, you're coming with us.' He demanded.

'Is that so?' Magnus questioned.

The man snarled at him and lunged. Magnus quickly moved out of the way, placing his palm against Adelaide's bedroom door praying she was still asleep. The spell he uttered effectively locked her inside the room until he decided she could leave.

Magnus could hear screaming from every direction, a young child's cries mixed in with the adult ones.

'Daddy? Daddy? Get up, please!'

Magnus knocked down a bookcase as he faced his attacker.

'Your magic's strong warlock.' The man taunted, his seraph blade lighting up. 'Much stronger than that horned warlock I killed this morning,'

'Elias?' Magnus' eyes lit up in disbelief and anger.

The shadowhunter attacked and Magnus threw a spell at him that he ducked away from.

'That was his name? Lucky for us, he sold you out before I took his warlock mark.' The shadowhunter swung again and Magnus retaliated.

'Cats eyes?' He remarked upon seeing Magnus' own warlock Mark. 'They'll be a nice addition to my collection.' As he finished speaking an arrow embedded itself into his leg and he cried out in pain.

Magnus threw his magic towards him in anger, effectively knocking him over, unconscious.

'Well done.' The deep voice sounded from behind him.

'More like medium-rare.' He retorted. He turned to face the handsome shadowhunter.

'I'm Magnus, I don't think we've been formally introduced.'

'Alec.' Alec smiled at the warlock.

'We should join the party.' Magnus gestured for Alec to leave the room first.

Adelaide hadn't mentioned that Alec was so attractive, Magnus thought with a smirk.

Magnus surveyed the room with a careful eye. 'This fights far from over.' He sighed as he followed the same path Alec had walked.

*****
'Magnus.'

Magnus turned to Clary, watching as she guided in a young warlock named Zoe whom was wearing an expression of shock and sadness on her face.

The younger girl reached for him and he embraced her tightly.

'Go join the others my dear. This is no place for a little girl. Go.' He ushered her along.

'I heard what you did for Zoe.' Magnus spoke after hearing Clary sigh. 'You risked your life without hesitation to save a young warlock child.'

'She was just a girl in trouble. I had no choice.' Clary spoke carefully.

'You always have a choice. You're not like others, Clary Fairchild. Most shadowhunters protect downworlders out of sense of duty, but you saved young Zoe because of what was inside your heart. You're more like your mother than you'll ever know.' Magnus smiled slightly at the redhead,

'Magnus. Please, you can't hide from this battle. Look, Valentine, he found you once. He will find you again. We need to work together. Help me.' A desperate tone entered Clary's voice.