12

A/N 3+ comments/votes for the next chapter! Theres still so much to come ;) I hope this chapter is acceptable! Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes, it's 12:33am here!

Isabelle watched the confused expression on Adelaide's face freeze and change into one of understanding as Alec appeared in the doorway behind her. Isabelle wasn't sure what to say to Alec's words, she hadn't realised he'd been near when she'd spoken.

As much as she loved her brother, Izzy knew that Alec was hot headed and his temper rivalled Adelaide's own. There had been times throughout the years when the two had fought and it was never pretty, but those arguments had been over trivial things when they were children. Isabelle knew her brother would not be kind to Adelaide when realisation that she was alive set in.

'Well? Isabelle?' Alec crossed his arms, his face barely concealing the anger he felt.

'Alec...' Clary tried.

'I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were my sister. ' He snapped at Clary who promptly shut her mouth.

'Alec...' Isabelle didn't know what to say.

Alec's jaw tensed. 'I'm waiting.'

Isabelle was speechless. How do you tell your older brother that the girl you loved like a sister was alive after spending over a year thinking she had died?

'Does anyone else want to help Isabelle out?' Alec asked, sarcasm colouring his tone.

No one spoke. Magnus shot Adelaide a look that she ignored.

'Fine. I'll tell you what I think. I think that you.' He pointed at Clary. 'Have pulled Jace and Isabelle into something that they know could get them in trouble with the clave, and because they know this, they've decided not to include me knowing that I wouldn't stand for it, not with us being watched so closely. And somewhere along the way you enlisted Magnus and Luke's help. They're downworlders and even you know that they clave will not honour an alliance with them, which is why you're here of all places.'

'Alec...' Jace tried to speak.

'Jace. You're my parabatai, my brother, yet you're lying and deceiving me for her.' Alec sneered, glancing at Clary.

Anger crossed Jace's face at Alec's assumptions about Clary.

'And who the hell is this? Replacing me already are you?' Alec gestured to Adelaide's back.

'No one is replacing you, Alec.' Isabelle tried to reassure her brother.

'Then will somebody please tell me what the hell is going on here?'

Adelaide looked at the faces of the people around her. She could see the internal battle written across Isabelle's beautiful features. She wanted to tell her brother the truth, yet there was still a part of her that wanted to be loyal to Adelaide. She caught Jace's eye and he nodded. Tell him, or I will.

Adelaide let out a loud sigh, drawing the attention of everyone in the room.

'Do you have something to say?' Alec asked her, clearly still annoyed and angry.

Adelaide shook her head.

'If you aren't a part of this, you should leave.' Alec said, a harsh tone entering his voice when she refused to look at him as she spoke.

Adelaide let out a small laugh, and that small sound was enough to make Alec tense up.

'I've always been a part of this.' Her words hung in the tense atmosphere.