19

A/N 5+ Votes, 4+ Comments for the next part! - I love feedback!
I hope you guys are still enjoying this! :s We're heading towards some exciting stuff!
Huge thank you again to everyone who nominated Smokescreen/Adelaide and Alec for the Shadowhunter Fanfic Awards, you guys are so kind! xo

*****

'I'm calling the nearest high warlock to come in to consult.'

Alec blinked as he realised Lydia was speaking to him. He'd been unable to focus since he had left the Jade Wolf only hours earlier. He couldn't shake the memory of Adelaide embracing him, as she'd always done, whenever she sensed his distress. He couldn't help but recall the way her heart had beat steadily against his chest, her soft hair against his skin, her ever present warmth and the way her perfume assaulted his senses.

Alec shook his head, banishing the thought of her from his mind.

'Magnus Bane? To come here, to the institute?' Alec glanced up at Lydia with what he hoped was an interested expression.

'Yes, is there a problem?' Lydia frowned.

'No. Not at all, Magnus is um... quite magical.' Alec finished lamely. The thought of Magnus automatically pushed him to think of his brunette housemate and Alec internally cussed. He couldn't afford to be distracted, and besides, he was still angry at Adelaide.

'Do you know him well?' Lydia questioned, watching Alec's facial expressions.

'Uh, just a little.' Alec shrugged lightly.

'I actually can't wait to meet him.' Lydia laughed. 'Did you know that my great ancestor, Henry Branwell, who was the last of the Branwell's to run an institute, and Magnus Bane invented the Portal?' Lydia sounded proud of her family name and their achievements. If only he could say he felt the same about the Lightwood name.

'No. Just add that to the list of things I didn't know.' Alec replied bitterly.

Guilt clouded Lydia's expression. 'Alec, I'm sorry. You shouldn't have had to find out that your parents were ex – circle members. Not like that.' Lydia's words were soft and Alec could tell that she meant what she said. She hadn't intended to tell him something that he should have already known.

'You mean from you? You shouldn't have been the one I found out from.'

'You know there's been a ban on talking about the circle until now.' Lydia echoed the thoughts Adelaide had voiced to him only hours before. It didn't make him feel any better now, either.

'How convenient for my parents.' Lydia flinched at the poison in Alec's words.

'This doesn't change how I feel about the Lightwood's. Your family has always had a strong alliance with mine. They've been a powerful force in the shadow world and praised for their devotion.' Lydia reassured Alec.

'Devotion?' Alec asked sceptically. 'My parents were in league with Valentine.'

'People make mistakes.' Lydia shrugged as though it didn't matter, and to her perhaps it didn't. To Alec, his parent's lies were an act of betrayal – yet another betrayal to add to the ever-growing list.

'Yeah, but this one is unforgivable.'

Alec and Lydia worked in silence for a few moments before Alec glanced at the blonde, who looked as though she had something to say.

'What?'

Lydia sighed. 'I was wondering... about Adelaide Renhallow.'

Alec stiffened, something that didn't go unnoticed by Lydia. 'What about her?'