28

I'm so pissed that this took so long to get up. My internet has been down and then I've had work this week and a driving test and ugh :( sorry!

Bit of a filler chapter, just needing to tie a few ends regarding the wedding leading into the final chapters. 

Working on the next chapter now though! :) So make sure to vote and comment! 3+ of each for the next chapter!

(Gif is not mine, credit to whoever made it. I think it's great ahaha) 

*NOT EDITED*

*****

Alec was nervous.

More nervous than Adelaide had ever seen him as the institute came into view. It looked as it always did, tall and intimidating, much like Alec himself, Adelaide thought wryly. The building itself was enough to evoke anxiety in the couple, though thankfully the over the top wedding decorations Isabelle had put out were nowhere in sight.

Magnus had assured both Alec and Adelaide that by the time they made their way back to the institute, the guests that had arrived for the wedding would well and truly be gone;  and it looked like he had been right.

Alec sighed shakily next to Adelaide, and she looked up at him in concern. 'Alec?'

'I can do this.' Alec seemed to be speaking more to himself than to Adelaide as he tried to relax his tense shoulders the closer they got to the institute.

Adelaide and Alec stepped inside first, followed closely by Isabelle, Magnus, Clary and Jace who were nervous for the couple, knowing how upset Maryse had been when Alec had walked out of his own wedding. Magnus swore he was only there to discuss payment for his services with Lydia, but Adelaide knew better – he was worried.

The few people that were milling around as the group entered the institute seemed to pause, their eyes following Alec and Adelaide suspiciously as they came into view.

'I have to hand it to you Alexander, you certainly know how to make a statement.' Magnus commented drily, ignoring the warning glance he received from Adelaide.

Alec hummed in agreement, his eyes darting cautiously from face to face.

Both Alec and Adelaide tensed as they heard the familiar click of heels on the polished institute floors, moving very, very quickly.

'That's our cue to leave little ones.' Magnus shooed Isabelle, Jace and Clary away, back towards the other end of the institute, ignoring Isabelle's loud protests.

Maryse and Robert came into view, Robert looking stern faced and Maryse's looking absolutely livid.

Growing up, Adelaide had always idolised Maryse, just as Isabelle had. She'd always wanted to grow up and become the woman that Maryse was; strong, independent and smart. She'd envied the way Maryse could intimidate anyone, and the way she commanded the respect of every living being that entered the place she considered home.

As Isabelle and Adelaide had grown up, they'd drifted away from the older woman, Isabelle more so than Adelaide. Even as an adult, a fully trained shadowhunter, Adelaide respected Maryse far more than she sometimes let on.

After all, Maryse had been the only mother figure Adelaide had ever known. She'd taught Adelaide a large chunk of what she knew about the world and everything in it.

So seeing that same woman, the woman who'd sung Isabelle and Alec lullabies to help them sleep as children, who'd graciously accepted both her and Jace into her family without a second thought, who'd raised her, storming towards her with a murderous look on her face was enough to make Adelaide's body begin to tremble in an uncharacteristic show of fear.

This was a new side of Maryse, one that had been rearing its ugly head from the moment Adelaide had appeared back into their lives.

Adelaide didn't like it. She didn't like it at all.