01.

part one,
forty days after- ;

jungkook sat before taehyung, an almost empty bottle of vodka in his grasp as he stared up at the sky. no stars twinkled in the lonely night, jungkook thought that this could resemble himself, as it was him who lost all of his infamous twinkle.

taehyung stayed silent as he watched his best friend deteriorate before him, unable to remember the times were jungkook was happy and at ease. he was confused as to why, out of all places, he found jungkook sitting on the roof of his home.

taehyung took the once full bottle of alcohol out of jungkook's palm, holding a straight face as jungkook sent him a glare, attempting to snatch the glass back but failing miserably as he clutched his forehead in pain.

"relax," taehyung spoke soothingly to the maknae, "i am just taking a swig."

and taehyung stayed to his word, jungkook thought, watching as the boy took a large swig of the bitter substance, coughing lightly when he pulled away. jungkook couldn't help but let out a laugh, if only he knew what he was laughing at. handing the bottle back, jungkook took it greedily, clutching it to his chest as if he was going to loose it.

eventually jungkook became exhausted, his grip on the empty bottle of vodka loosened, before it eventually fell, rolling to taehyung's side. taehyung just stared at it, an anti-depressant like that shouldn't be around his best friend, but he didn't even try to stop the unfortunate boy.

taehyung could smell jungkook's breath from his seated position next to him, thick with alcohol as the maknae breathed heavily, chest heaving up and down with every deep breath, sometimes so quick that taehyung thought the boy was crying. taehyung was worried, but he didn't like to show it.

"jungkook" taehyung whispered, making an effort to catch the boys attention, but failing when jungkook just continued to stare at the dark, empty sky. jungkook shifted around, leaning his palms on the textured rooftop, supporting his lifeless and intoxicated body from falling over.

"love," the youngest whispered back eventually, although not turning to spare even a glance in taehyung's direction, "almost never works out."

"it ruins people," he continued, the vodka dripping from his breath, "it tears them to shreds and kicks them while they are down." jungkook leant forward to grab the bottle from taehyung's side, attempting to take a swing but was soon to realise that the bottle was still empty. sighing deeply, he threw it behind his shoulder harshly, and taehyung flinched as it shattered to pieces from down below.

"but when it does work out," jungkook hiccuped, "when love does work out, the sky is bluer."

"you wake up and the stars are aligned and you start to realize why artists are artists." taehyung closed his eyes at jungkook's words, shifting to lay on his back as he tried to ignore the pain of the cement roof prodding into his tailbone.

"it is a wonderful feeling," jungkook whispered ever so quietly, closing his own eyes as a gush of wind blew through his greasy hair, "but what a terrifying path to go down to get to the happy ending."