Chapter Seven || Assholes

Chapter Seven - Assholes

A L E X A N D E R

Today Aspen was having me and Lee run some errands for her since Henry was giving us some time off.

"Here's the list, thank you two again for doing this for me, Henry finally gave you a day off and I'm making you work for me." Aspen said handing us the list and hugging us.

"It's okay," I reassured.

Lee agreed and we walked out to the truck.

"Where to first?" Lee asked. I looked at the list, thankfully I had learned where everything was in the town so I knew where we would need to go and in what order.

"Feed store." I answered, buckling up before Lee drove out of the driveway.

We were silent on the way there, awful country music lightly playing in the background.

I had finally had enough of it and turned the radio off, "Hey," Lee looked over at me, "Why'd you turn it off, my favorite song just came on."

"Are you for real, that sounded horrible." I laughed.

"Did not."

I rolled my eyes, "I need to introduce you to some good music." I insisted.

"What do you listen to?" He asked.

"Anything but that." We laughed.

Once we were at the feed store we got the feed for the barn animals and I swear I was stronger after moving all those bags to the back of the truck. I was proud of myself.

After we paid for the feed, we went to the grocery store to get some food for the week and to get other essentials we needed for the week.

I don't remember what Lee had said but it made us laugh so hard, it actually got attention from the two people I wanted to stay away from.

"Well if it isn't the two fags, how's life now that you've come out Lee?" One of Bobby's sons, Jacob, said.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Lee asked.

"You two seem to be inseparable, and he's gay, so he's probably turned ya." They laughed.

"Just because I'm friends with Alex doesn't mean I'm gay, so shut the fuck up. Being gay, isn't a choice assholes. So walk along, come back to me when you two get your shit together." Lee said and I was shocked that he understood and actually said it. I was looking at Lee the whole time, half smiling.

As the were walking by, Lee grabbed them by the backs of their necks, "And don't ever use that word again, got me?"

They clenched their teeth and reluctantly nodded before they stumbled away.

Finally Lee turned to me and saw my shocked expression, "What?" He asked.

"That was pretty cool." I smiled.

"Thanks." He smiled and we finished shopping, continuing with small talk and the occasional cheesy jokes that I soon found out Lee loved telling.

I loved when he was like this. He was always so serious and focused when we were working. But when we weren't he was so laid back and actually funny, in the cheesy sort of way.

I loved this Lee, without a doubt and I loved the idea that Lee was getting comfortable enough around me to treat me like he does and protect me like he did.

Once we were finished with the grocery store we went to the hard ware store to get some parts for the tractor that broke down.

After that we were on our way back to the house.

Once we were there Jeff and Jack helped unload the feed and the groceries.

We had just finished unloading everything and Lee had disappeared inside when Henry pulled me aside. I was worried he was gonna put me to work.

"Don't worry, your not gonna work, I just wanted to asked you something."

I visibly relaxed, "What is it?"

"You like my son don't you?" He asked and I instantly turned red and looked away, "Be honest with me."

I slowly nodded, "But don't worry, your son's not gay so, you don't have to worry."

"Alexander, I am not a homophobe. and if my son told me he was gay, all the power to him, as long as he continues to be respectful and works hard, he can do whatever and be whoever he wants to be."

I smiled at him, "There should be more parents like you our there. Sorry, for assuming."

"It's okay, Alexander. So you like my son."

"Yes sir." I spoke lightly.

"The kids so oblivious when it comes to relationships that I doubt he even knows. But if you do grow the balls to tell him, and he hurts you, beat the shit out of him, or come to me and I'll do it." He paused, "I've grown to like you, Alex, and I don't want you to get hurt, especially by my son."

"Thank you." I smiled.

I was genuinely surprised when he reached over and hugged me, I hugged him back.

"Any time, Alex. Now get inside and relax. I gotta go fix the tractor."

I smiled and watched him walk off before walking inside.

Sorry it's short, this was basically just a filler chapter as I prepare what's going to happen next.