Chapter Ten || I'm Fine

Chapter Ten - I'm Fine

A L E X A N D E R

I woke up on what felt like a cloud the smell of Lee was everywhere.

I hummed as I tried to stretch but ended up letting out a yell from the pain in my side.

I had forgotten about my side.

Lee walked in and asked, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I smiled and sat up.

Lee dug through his drawers to find some clothes then changed.

I managed to walk down stairs and to the kitchen, "Morning." Henry greeted, sipping his coffee at the dinning room table.

"Morning." I smiled.

I walked into the kitchen and got a glass of water before finding my pain meds and taking one before eating a muffin.

I sat down at the table with everyone else, Lee done changing and down stairs eating.

Jack and Jeff had already eaten and were doing their chores.

"Lee, me and you are going to finish cleaning the barn today." Henry said.

Lee nodded and I turned to Aspen, "Can I help you and Lily in the garden?"

Aspen looked up at me and asked, "I don't know, you just got out of the hospital, you should rest. I don't want the stitches to come out and rip your skin."

"I'll be fine, I just won't do a lot of bending or twisting." I smiled taking the last bite of my muffin.

"Alright, but you have to be careful." Aspen said.

"Yay!" Lily cheered as she munched on a poptart, "Alex gets to work with us."

I smiled at her enthusiasm.

Once we were finished eating I changed and met Aspen and Lily in the garden, Lily had picked me a Gardenia.

"Thank you, lovely." I smiled taking the beautiful flower that she offered me.

"Wanna help me pick the veggies?"

"Sure." I smiled, following her into the heart of the garden.

She handed me the basket, "I'll hand you the veggies, you're not allowed to bend down."

I nodded and she bent down, picking the vegetables that were ready.

"How do you know when there ready?" I asked.

She looked up, putting a handful of squash in the basket.

She went off on how her mom taught her and how they have to be either the right color, feel or size, depending on the vegetable.

She put a handful of tomatoes in the basket, one of them falling because the basket was over flowing. Instead of making Lily pick it up, I crouched down and picked it up, no problem, just a slight pinch.

"I'll be back," I told Lily, "I'm going to get an empty basket."

I walked to Aspen and asked, "Where do I get another basket? And where do I put these?"

She looked up from trimming her roses, "Follow me."

I followed her to a shed and she told me to put the basket on the table and grab a new one because once we were done Lily and I would sort them out.

I walked back to Lily, basket in hand. While I was gone she had started storing the vegetables in her shirt by simply pulling the bottom up to form a makeshift basket.