Chapter 4

You have an instant message from: GERARD

Gerard: Patrick Martin Vaughn Stump, what is wrong with you?

Patrick: Did you forget your caffeine? What did I do this time at 12AM in the morning?

Gerard: You're applying for a University in New York, that's what. First of all, how dare you leave your best friend behind.

Patrick: Look, I've already explained myself to Pete. He understands. I know he's okay with it.

Gerard: But did he tell you that he's okay with it?

Patrick: He's okay with it.

Gerard: I highly doubt that.

Patrick: How do you know, Gerard? You're not his best friend.

Gerard: But you're his.

Gerard: How about you, Patrick? Are you okay with leaving him?

Patrick: Yeah.

Gerard: Really?

Patrick: Really.

Gerard: Really, really?

Patrick: GERARD.

Gerard: Come on, Patrick. You've been best friends for years. You've been together through thick and thin. You're part of each other's lives. How are you just okay with that?

Patrick: BECAUSE I TRY TO BE, ALRIGHT?

Patrick: Do you think I want to leave him? Do you know how hard it was for me to write that letter where I tell him that I can't join along in his dreams of making a band? Do you know how scared I am that he'll forget me when I leave? But I try to accept the fact that it'll happen, so it'll hurt less. I'm fooling myself but I have to, because when reality hits you, you have to face it. Mum and Dad are having a divorce, Gerard. I'm choosing a future where I'm not going to be like Dad. I'm choosing a future where I can make my Mum happy.

Gerard: I'm sorry. But how about you, Patrick? What if you're not happy?

Patrick: Suck it up, I guess. I'll be fine, Gerard. I'll try to be.

Gerard: Patrick, I'm worried about you. Are you sure--

Patrick: Can we talk later, Gerard? My Mum's calling me.

Patrick has logged off

Gerard: Oh, Patrick.

To Trick,

Hey! It's prom night next week. Are you coming?

- From Pete

To Pete,

You know I'm not into that stuff. I don't have a date, and I have nothing to wear.

- From Patrick

You have an instant message from: PETE

Pete: then I'll be your fairy godfather

Patrick: Pete, no.

Pete: c'mon, trick. i'm going to graduate soon. can't you join me? I'll find you a date and everything.

Pete: please?

Patrick: Okay, fine. But no drinking again. I swear to God, Pete if it happens again--