22: Mark

I stormed out of the training room, feeling as if I was going to be sick. I couldn't believe what I had just saw. Cristina had been kissing Diego. Her arms had been around him, and she was kissing him. Did she not love me? From the looks of it, it didn't seem like it. I felt hurt and pain well up in me, and I felt tears in my eyes. It had been years since I had cried, and the feeling felt strange.

I walked down the hallways, hoping that Cristina wouldn't come after me. I kept walking, until I found myself out on the beach, sitting in the sand. How could she do that to me? I had done nothing but love her, why would she kiss him? Someone suddenly came and took a seat beside me. I looked to my right, to see Cordelia.

"I saw you run out here. Are you alright?" She asked.

"No." I admitted.

"What is the matter?"

"I saw Cristina kissing Diego." I mumbled, sadly.

Cordelia frowned, looking saddened for me. "I am very sorry, Mark, I can tell that you love her a lot."

I nodded. "I thought she loved me like that, too. I guess I was wrong."

"It could have been a misunderstanding."Cordelia said. "Maybe Diego kissed her, but she did not want him to."

"Her arms were around him." I glared at the sand.

"Oh." She sounded deflated. "Do they have a history with each other?"

"Cristina and him used to be in love, but then he did something to her, and she hated him. Obviously, she must not anymore." I explained.

"I am very sorry. No one deserves this." Cordelia said, looking at me.

I only remained silent, smiling weakly at her. Wherever I went, I found that heartbreak always followed. In my heart, I knew that Cristina and I would never work. She was a full Shadowhunter, and I was half Fey. The Clave would forbid it.

"Maybe it's best that this happened." I said. "The Clave would strip us of our marks if they ever found out about Cristina and I, because of the Cold Peace."

"Maybe." She replied, thoughtfully. "But I do not think so. If two people love each other, then I think they should be together, no matter what."

"I used to think like that." I spoke a bit bitterly. "But too much has happened for me to believe that, now."

We were both silent then for a few minutes.

"Do you miss your sister?" Cordelia asked suddenly.

"Yes, I haven't seen her in five years. I think about her everyday. She is the only one who knows what it's like to be like me." I said.

"I hope you will be able to see her again. This Cold Peace arrangement is quite stupid." Cordelia glared at the sand.

"I doubt I'll ever see her again." I said sadly. "Maybe I should have never come home."

"You should not say that." Cordelia looked at me seriously. "You should have never left, not that it was in your control. You should be happy that you're back."

"Why? All that's happened are bad things, except for the Consul letting me stay." I replied bitterly.

"You cannot think like that." She said. "You're family loves you, and that's enough. Trust me. And as for Cristina, I can bet you that it was all just a misunderstanding. She loves you, Mark, I've seen the way she looks at you."

I sighed. "Thank you."

Cordelia nodded, and stood up. "Think about what I told you."

She then headed back to the Institute, leaving me to dwell on my thoughts. I knew that Cristina loved me, but I still felt so hurt. I stood up, and threw a rock into the ocean, sighing. It skipped several times, before disappearing into the ocean.

"Impressive." A voice said from behind me.

I whirled around, and my eyes widened in shock. There stood Kieran. He was wearing the Hunt clothes, his hair blue.

"Kieran? What are you doing here?" I asked, shocked.

"I came to see you." He spoke simply.

"How? The Hunt forbids it." I said.

"I don't care. I wanted to see you." Kieran said. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you, too." I admitted.

I still wasn't over what he had done to Emma and Julian, but I couldn't deny that I had been secretly hoping I would see him again. Kieran had been my everything in the Wild Hunt, and I knew that I could never forget about him. I guessed Cristina still felt something for Diego, and I still felt something for Kieran. Maybe we could never fully commit to each other.

"So, how have you been?" Kieran asked.

"Alright." I replied. "How's the Hunt?"

"Dreadful, without you." He said, looking up at me.

"If you're asking me to come back, then--" I started, glaring.

"I didn't come here to ask you to come back. I told you, I came to see you." Kieran replied. "As much as I hate to say it, this is where you belong. With your family. The people who love you, even though I already do."

I only remained silent, my heart jumping at his words.

"How is your girlfriend?" He asked, a bit bitterly.

I laughed with dry amusement. "I caught her kissing another man. It's like whoever I love, betrays me in some way."

Kieran frowned. "You know that I did not mean to do that, Mark. You must know that."

"I do." I looked away from him. "I just can't get over it."

"You always were stubborn." He smiled slightly.

Kieran was suddenly standing right in front of me, so we were centimetres apart. My heart started to beat faster, and he was staring deep into my eyes.

"Kieran--I can't." I said.

"Why not?" He whispered.

I looked back at him, and then suddenly, we were kissing. It felt normal for my lips to be on his, and I held I to him. Kieran held me tightly, and kissed me harder.

"Kier." I whispered, pulling him closer to me.

Kieran pulled me closer to him, and I dug my fingers into his back. I knew that I should have pulled away, but I couldn't find it in me to. I was too lost in him. It was awhile until I went to the Institute.