Chapter One ⋆

Gravelington, England

17 March 1888

Gabriella placed her hand on her stomach where once a child she and her husband had created until just a few weeks ago until she woke up in pain, removing the sheets from her body she looked down at the pool of blood. Then she remembered screaming in horror, the maids running into her room only minutes later and they didn't have to say anything, they all knew that she had just suffered another miscarriage.

A tear then fell from her eyes as she thought about her lost children, since she had been married for nearly the past three years she had suffered three miscarriage and it took a toll on her. Especially since the first one was when she was only seventeen and it made her think that she never would get to hold a little baby in her arms.

Gabriella wanted nothing more to have a little baby, to shower with so much love and affection. A little baby boy who would look just like his father or a little girl like her. A part of her wondered if she just wasn't destined to have children of her own and the thought broke her heart.

Then she thought about her husband who had been fetched by a young maid on that unfortunate night and the look on his face as he rushed towards her side, that was the only time he had shown her any affection at the lost of their children.

She remembered seeing the marks on his neck and she was sure there were other places across his body that had marks too and she knew he had just come from his bed where his mistress probably laid waiting for his return.

"Miss Williams?" she turned round at the voice of the young maid.

The young maid had started earlier that day and must of had the shock of her life at the sight of all that blood, she looked and thought the girl must not be a day older than eighteen years and she couldn't help but smile a little in her direction.

"Mr Williams said he will be joining you for dinner tonight" she said bowing as she went to leave the room.

"Maria?"

"Yes, m'lady?" the young maid questioned halfway out the door as she turned back around.

Gabriella let out a sigh as she looked out of the window and towards the lake, "When my husband returns home please will you tell him that I have gone for walk in the garden...I shall be by the lake" she said, Maria smiled back at her before she closed the door.

When she finally made it outside the weather was absolutely beautiful, no cloud in the sky with the sun shining brightly down into their garden. Walking aimlessly around before stopping by the lake sitting down on the grass she let out a sigh and not being able to stop the sob that escaped her mouth, her head falling onto her knees which she hugged close to her.

A little while later she just sat there in silence, hearing the birds chirping around her and the wind slowly softly. Her dried up tears stuck to her face, she then heard footsteps and she knew she didn't have to turn round to know it was her husband, Andrew Williams.

"It's good to see you outside" he said sitting down next to her his arms touching her, as he lifted up his hand to grab hold of hers and she looked up at her husband who smiled back at her she returned the smile. "I thought it would be good to get some air" she managed to speak before turning to the look at the view in front of them again.

They both sat in silence for a little while longer, his fingers brushing against her skin making the hairs on her arms stand up causing her to shiver. "Cold?" he questioned quietly but she shoke her head, "No" she chuckled, "I'm sorry Andrew...I'm sorry I can't give you children because there is nothing I want more in this world than to have a baby, to hold them in my arms. I don't think I can have a baby, I can't give you any children" she sobbed.