Chapter 21: The Feeling of Letting Go

03.30.2016

Copyright © March 2016 All Rights Reserved

Chapter 21: The Feeling of Letting Go

Sandra Adele Rose

"I'm giving you a chance to be in your daughters life." It was hard saying this, especially since everything was different. "You own her that much after abandoning us, God only knows what you threw away."

"I want to fix this Sandra, fix us–" David the father of Adeline and the man that betrayal me began to say but I didn't want him to finish it.

I couldn't let go of the anger I still had from all those years. "There is no us, you have a shot at being Adeline's father and you can take it or leave it. You don't have nothing to prove to anyone but yourself." I said pointing into is chest violently.

Outside, in the hospital hallway near Adeline's room we discussed it before it was time for him to introduce himself to my daughter. But if he couldn't keep up to the other end of the bargain he might as well walk out of here.

"Don't go in there if you are going to bring up the past." I said and walked away.

Indeed he followed me into Adeline's new room. He closed the door behind him. Liam was with Adeline by her bedside and he immediately tensed up. My mother was sitting in the stool next to Adeline's bed with Leah standing beside my mom.

I had talked to Liam about this but he thought that it wasn't a good idea however he didn't stop me either.

As we drew closer to the bed, Adeline's eyes lifted at my presence and she looked passed me. "Who is he mommy?" Her innocent voice said.

I wasn't sure how to put this for her to understand. "Well... this is your father."

It took her a minute to process this information. "But Liam is my daddy." She stated looking at him with hope. I wished the same for her, if only she had a father like Liam. Someone that won't disappoint her like David did.

"Adeline... Your dad is here to see you, he's a busy man." I urged.

"I have two daddies." She exclaimed, but the light in her pale green eyes where dying even if she didn't notice this, I saw that the life was fading away from the five year old. "But where did you go?" Now there was a frown on her lips.

David looked at me for a slit second. "I was busy working really hard to come and see you." She tried crawling out of her blankets but Adeline couldn't get far because she was being monitored by the machines.

David comes to her aid and hugs her close to his heart, just like it could have been a long time ago.

He helps Adeline back into the bed. My mother was discreet about it but I saw the guilty facial expression on her face. When she caught my eye, I gave her a smile assuring her that I'll be okay... Someday.

I wished that my father made an appearance to show that he cared, however he never knew of my existence till I went to find him– even then he didn't show a slightest care in the world.

It's okay though, my daughter has been making me see passed the fact that I was fatherless. It wasn't his or my mothers fault, so I blame the universe.