Chapter 3: The Cocktail Bar

02.12.2014

Copyright © December 2014 All Rights Reserved

Chapter 3: The Cocktail Bar

Sandra Adele Rosé

I parked the old Volvo and made my way over to the other mothers. The kindergarten teacher let the kids go once they spotted their parents. Immediately I saw Adeline she was still too busy searching for me, there was a concerned feature on her little face.

The parents began leaving after thanking the teachers. Adeline saw me when the crowd cleared and her face turned into a cheer as she desperately pulled the ladies clothed leg. She was let free when the teacher recognised me.

"Mommy!" She cried running as fast as she can on her tiny legs. I caught her as she nearly dived. Hugging her tight to my body, she smelled like strawberry shampoo, like always.

"My baby, I missed you so much." I kissed her head. I carried her to the car and safely strapped her into the safety seat. "How has your day been, Ade?" I listened carefully to her fascinating story about her kindergarten.

We drove home picking up Chinese on the way as the whether began picking up. I must say: my first day wasn't so bad, I guess it was okay for being in the business world. It was different and all the workers were nice too, even Liam didn't seem as tough as I thought.

"Mommy?" My little girl called from the back seat. I managed to peek from the view mirror to check if she was okay. "I have to go potty."

My face broke into panic. "Can you hold on for ten minutes longer?" I knew that was too long, and she would pee herself. I began looking for any local, or fast food store, as we lived just outside town.

"I'll try." As her face became red, I didn't want to torture her anymore so I parked at the nearest place I saw. I locked the car when she was out and made my way to the entrance of a mini cocktail bar holding Adeline's hand tightly.

The bar was filled with a lot of men, just relaxing, talking and drinking. I looked around at the busy men and made my way to the bar. "Excuse me, do you have a restroom?" The fat man turned to face me, and laughed.

"Did you hear her? The lady needs the restroom." He shouted at the men with humour. It was quite dark in here like any other bar, so I didn't recognise the males who turned to us in curiosity. They laughed with the owner I guess.

"Pretty one we got here." A drunk man stepped forward, and I became angry instantly. He wobble on every step and I got pretty much over protective of Adeline and tucked her behind me.

The man reached out for me. "Don't touch me." I flinch back, but he wasn't in his senses. This time he came again, but he didn't make it as close as before, because someone grabbed his wrist unexpectedly.

"She said not to touch her." The mysterious man pushed him back by force making him fall over.

"That's enough, you two have to leave." The fat man said pointing to me and my daughter.

"That won't be necessary, they are with me." The familiar voice said. Both men remained silence having some kind of stare down. "Now where's the restroom?"

"Turn right, down the hall." He concluded going back to wipping over the bar. I sighed, relief washing over me.

The man that saved us pulled me and Adeline in the direction of the restroom. Now that I got a better view of him, my eyes almost rolled out at the familiar face. "Liam?" His eyes shone in the dim light. "What are you doing here?" It sounded rather rude of me, because it just wasn't his scene.

"I guess I was at the right place at the right time." He shrugged. "What are you doing here at this time? Anything could happen to both of you if I didn't recognise you in time." He said calmly but angrily.

I didn't like the tone he used but anyone would be angry at my silly decision on coming here. "Well, Adeline over here needs the toilet..." I trailed off as I remembered the purpose to why I was at this bar.

When we both looked at her, she looked slightly guilty and a lot more embarrassed. "Mommy, the man scared me and I could not hold it any longer." I became frustrated at her.

"See!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands into the air. On the other hand, Liam was enjoying it very much with a huge grin, I've never seen on him.

"Hi Ade, it seems like your mother it angry." He chuckled like a lunatic. But Adeline didn't mind because she smiled joining in his mock. She squealed when suddenly Liam sweeps her off her feet.

"You might wanna- never mind." Their laughter filled the hallway, and after a while I smiled at my happy daughter. She's been through a lot, we both have. "Adeline sweetie, it's time to leave, don't forget you have homework." I reminded her.

Adeline calmed down finally. "Okay mommy," I reached for my baby girl, but Liam insisted on carrying her. I let him, and he lead the way back to the horrible men, and we left the bar completely making sure Ade didn't see or hear their false language.

"Thank you." I said when Liam removed his head from the car, buckling the girl in safely.

"Anytime, Sandra." My eyes travel away when I knew I was staring too long. "You may think I don't know you much, but you're a good mother, don't forget that." I nodded at his encouragement and entered the drivers seat, putting the seatbelt on. "Drive safely." He closed my door and stepped back.

I started to drive away and still found him standing there, watching. I looked away absolutely torn at the situation resemblance that I can't forget; only he wasn't in the picture back then another man was. I knew it was going to be a long night, with Adeline.