1.4 : new

"Carmen," Isaac breathes out in relief, running to me as soon as Derek and I walk through the door. He grabs my face and looks me up and down, examining the deep gashes that hadn't physically healed yet from fighting Jackson. "Oh, my god, are you okay? Does it hurt?"

He continues to ramble until I press a finger to his lips, annoyed. "Babe, I'm fine. I don't feel them and they'll heal soon."

"Are you sure?" He looks hopeful, desperate to help me. "God, I swear I'll kill Jackson if he ever lays another finger on you."

"You won't have to." I mutter bitterly, freeing myself from his grip and walking towards the kitchen.

"What do you mean?" He questions, following behind me. Usually, I would be so happy to hear his voice, but my mind was still pounding from the events of tonight.

"He's the Argent's problem now." Derek speaks for me. I bite my lip and press a finger to my throbbing temple. I can tell that Isaac has questions, but I couldn't handle explaining anything right now.

"I'm going to sleep," I say, sitting at one of the kitchen seats. I place my head in my arms and mumble, "Please don't bother me. It's been a long night and I just want to relax."

And for once, the big bad wolves actually listen.

▲▼

"Derek told us to be back before sun-up." Erica says, looking down at her feet while she kicks at leaves. Her, Boyd, and I were all walking through the forest near midnight for no particular reason- Just to talk. None of us had gone to school today, too fried by the recent activities to care for our grades. Isaac claimed to have a bad feeling about going out to walk with us, hence why he wasn't here with us right now. I tried to convince him that nothing was going to happen, while he simultaneously tried to convince me that I shouldn't go. Me, being the hard hat I am, ignored his claims and left without another word.

Boyd suddenly grabs our arms, startling me. I jump and look at him, puzzled.

"I thought I heard something," He mutters, slightly loosening his grip on the two of us.

"Look, if we're going to do this whole 'I thought I heard something' thing, then we shouldn't be stopping, we should be running." I sass, and he disregards it as he shakes his head, clearly majorly spooked by something.

"No, listen." He hisses.

Erica and I shut up so that we could hear what Boyd was so adamant on.

Howling.

A single cry out that faded into the darkness of the night, leaving us all standing there in shock and confusion.

"Coyote?" I ask. When he doesn't reply, I knew that I was being too hopeful. "Wolf?"

"It can't be- There are no wolves in California."

"But there are werewolves." Erica chimes, arms folded over her chest.

"That didn't sound like Derek," I point out. The howl was much more high-pitched than Derek's would ever be.

"Maybe it was-"

Before the words can leave Erica's mouth, howls begin to sound all around us, coming seemingly from nowhere . Any which way we turned, we were met with the sound of a howling, but no visible indication of a source. Their cries never stopped, like they were trying to keep our attention.

Trying to reach out to us.

▲▼

After a long night of talking and arguing, we had all come to the same general agreement.