3.4 : offer

Third person POV

Piers smugly walked up to Carmen upon seeing her awestruck expression. He raised a hand to his sister's face and runs his fingers along where the blood splattered, wiping it away. 

"Y-You just killed that person," Carmen's lips quiver as her words spilled from her mouth. She refused to look up at Piers, and she refused to look down at the dead man at her feet. The only option she had was to shut her eyes tightly, hoping that this was all just some messed up dream. "Why did you- What are you?"

"I'm a hunter," He explains simply, making her eyes shoot open. 

"So, what does this mean?" She laughed bitterly, even though inside, she was terrified beyond belief. "You're going to kill me?"

"We know you have a lot of questions," Luke abruptly enters the room, shutting it behind him. "Sit down, we need to talk."

Instead of flat out blurting all of the questions her mind was racing with, she decided to walk to the other side of the room, away from the dead body. She slid her back down the wall and buried her face in her knees, biting her lip in an attempt to keep in a cry.

"I'm going to be very blunt and fast about this, so try to keep up. I don't like repeating myself." Nina ordered, folding her arms over her chest and taking a deep inhale before explaining her story.

"Luke and I were bitten shortly after you and Piers left D.C. Our alpha turned into a complete sap who was afraid to spill blood to get what he wanted. Our pack weakened, so Luke and I took matters into our own hands. We killed every single person in our pack, and I became the alpha. But obviously, you can't really have a pack with 2 people. This was where you came in. I remembered that even though you seemed sweet and innocent to everyone else, you're still my best friend, and I know that you can be a completely different person at times. That person really started to show after you lost your parents. You closed yourself off, and when you were open, you were dark and brooding. I figured I could use that to my advantage. I told Piers all about it, since he was already aware of what happened to us after you left, and he hooked us up with some people. First, you needed to be changed. I know your little friends are okay with having useless humans in their pack and what not, but if we wanted to be more powerful than them, we couldn't allow that.

"We got to thinking, what can we turn you into? We obviously could have steered you towards Derek and you would have just been a regular werewolf, but where's the fun in that? So Piers found an elf who sent the fae after you; Jen."

"Where is Jen now?" Carmen croaks, mumbling into her lap, as she still hadn't left her curled position.

"With that guy," Nina points to the dead man on the ground carelessly, "But what happened to them is irrelevant. We set everything in place so that Derek would find you, and him being in his desperate state with the alphas on their way, why would he turn down the opportunity to get an insanely rare being in his pack? So at this point in the story, you're a haltija, and you're running around with your pack trying to keep the town safe from a giant lizard. While all that was happening, we were planning. We got together a group of 4 people from Beacon Hills who were interested in joining our pack, excluding Piers.

"The first person was Trent. He was a werewolf who believed in our message. Or, we thought, up until today, actually. As you can see, that didn't end too well for him." Nina explains, her eyes drifting over to the body. "The second was Jen. I really owe her credit, because without her, none of this would have been possible. She's the one who sent the swarm after you and changed you. She taught us a few tricks on how to control your kind, what to do when things get out of hand. Or, what to do when we wanted things to get out of hand.