Chapter one

Karis Kenzie was enjoying a sunny summer day in her room, listening to music while she tried to plan some fun activities to keep her from getting too bored and end up taking a nap.  There was nothing exciting to do Mathis, Texas except go to the beach which was located approximately forty five minutes away.  Unfortunately, when you are a fifteen year old girl with no driver's license that means there is absolutely nothing to do.  Karis will turn sixteen in less than a week.  But having a driver's license is the least of Karis' worries right now.  Supernatural humans like Karis are regular normal kids with typical concerns until they turn sixteen.  Sometime around Karis's sixteenth birthday, there will be a significant change in her body and abilities.  As a result of a particular genetic makeup that has been slowly developing in her body, she will inherit one of four powers.  This power passed down from ancient ancestors might be the sight power, the force power, the strength power, or the maker skills.  Typically, only one power is inherited.  The normal kids do not know about these powers and only teenagers whose parents have powers will develop a power.  The teenager cannot choose which power he or she will possess.  Life and genetics choose the destiny for each child.  The genetically chosen child will become either puissant or noesis.  The hardest thing for the teenager to do is wait to see what plan life has in store for them.

      Karis was excited about the new change coming in her life.  She was tired of the normal, day in and day out scenario that she has been living.  She was ready for something different, something extraordinary that will bring meaning into her boring life.  She stared up at her ceiling fan and watched the blades spin slowly while she laid on her bed daydreaming of what the change would be like for her.  All the powers are different, but each one is special.  She wondered if she was going to have the sight power which gives her the ability to see long distances, pick out detailed thermal images through objects, and unbelievable night vision.  As she pondered on that for a moment, she smiled at the thought of being able to see silhouettes through walls or run through the woods at night without running into something.  Or maybe she would receive the force power that would allow her to control objects and people with her mind.  Karis giggled at the thought of being able to control her little brother and make him do her chores.  Too bad it wouldn't let her make a hot guy fall in love with her.  The force only works on people's mind not their emotions.  Then again having the maker skills would have its advantages because she could make a weapon out of anything.  Karis loved the thought of being able to take a paperclip and make it into something that could be used to her advantage in hostile situations.  Although she imagined the strength power would be interesting; being able to lift objects ten times her own body weight would be quite interesting.  Bench pressing ten times her own body weight would be awesome; if anybody tried to harm her, she could use her own strength to overpower the person instead of hiding behind her best friend, which happens to be a boy. 
       At least Karis didn't have to worry about that at the moment, everyone her age born of a certain ancestry did not have their powers yet.  As soon as they developed these skills their parents would transfer a teenager to a special school where they were taught to control their powers.  It was emphasized that the powers given were to be used to protect the people that don't have these powers.  Even though it had been over a hundred years since anybody had used their powers against an evil being that did not mean it wouldn't be needed later.  Suddenly a thought popped into Karis's mind that made her stomach turn.  She jerked up from her bed feeling a little lightheaded as she tried to control her hyper-breathing.  She grabbed her stuffed teddy bear that she had since childhood off her bed and hugged it tightly against her chest.     
      "What if I don't develop any of the powers?"  Karis whispered to her teddy bear as she tried to catch her breath.  "I've heard of it before, someone turning sixteen, patiently waiting for the change to happen and it never comes.  Those kids have to go to a normal school, live a normal life, and lose all their 'special' friends that they knew from childhood, because of being normal.  I don't ever want to go through that, I won't ever be just normal!"