Chaper Ten

Mr. Carson walked into his office and sat down in a chair positioned behind a large red oak desk. He stared blankly at each person that made their way through his office door. Karis was the first one to enter the room. When she sat down in the chair closest to the door she looked around the office and determined that Mr. Carson was a big game hunter. There were several exotic deer heads that hung on his wall. On the book case were several kinds of stuffed birds posed in various positions.  Some were standing with their feathers smooth against their bodies while others had their wings spread like they were trying to fly away. There was a stuffed leopard crouched behind Mr. Carson's desk on a metal stand that if Karis didn't know it was stuffed she would have thought it was about to attack him.
    Kenny walked in and leaned against the far wall; he played nonchalantly with a stuffed bird's feathers. Mr. Carson looked at Kenny out the corner of his eyes and said through clenched teeth. "If you would like to keep your hand in one piece I would not touch anything."  Kenny jerked his hands back and placed them in his back pockets.
    Titanium brought in two chairs from the hallway.  He placed one next to where Kaleb was standing. "Sit here! Do make yourself comfortable. I'm pretty sure you'll be seeing this office quite a bit if you keep pulling stunts like that."
    "What? The jerk ran into me. I tried to squeeze against the wall but he hit me anyway."
    "Boy you have a lot to learn, especially if you want to live to see your powers.  You can't just go up and fist fight these guys.  They would laugh in your face just before flattening it."
    "I saw Kenny and he nodded at me. What was I supposed to do?  Nothing?" Kaleb said as he sat down in the chair and threw his hands up in the air dramatically. "Then they'd really know that I don't have my powers."
    "You're RECKLESS! Did you even think about HER?" Titanium shouted as he pointed to Karis.
    "I always think about HER! She is all I ever think about!" Kaleb shouted back.
    "That's enough!" Mr. Carson snapped, rising to his feet and slamming his hand down on his desk. Titanium glared at Kaleb for a moment then took the other chair and sat down on the other side of Karis. He slouched in the chair and crossed his arms over his chest angrily.
    Mr. Carson rubbed his hand over his face before he looked at Karis. "I know you have a lot of questions and I am going to try to answer most of them, but there is something you and Mr. Wood need to know first before we go any further." Mr. Carson paused for a moment and sat back down in his chair. "We have not been able to get in touch with your parents since you both arrived here. The last time we had contact with either of them was when your airplane touch down here. I am not sure if they are just trying to keep off the radar or if something has went wrong."
    Karis felt her heart sink into her stomach. She didn't know whether she should bust out crying or demand Mr. Carson to find out what was going on. "Okay, when did our parents become supernatural spies?"
    "Not spies." Mr. Carson interrupted Karis. "Your father has a gift like nobody else. He is a genius in a dangerous way. He studied robotics and computer science before he even got his maker powers. After that he was curious about how each of the powers work, so he went to all the training classes and learned about each one of them. He even traveled to different schools to learn about their training skills and how they work. That is how he met your mother."
    "How do you know so much about my parents, they didn't even go to school here?"
    "Your father is a well-known man. Let's just say that he didn't use his maker skills for weapons.  He was more interested in using his power for education. He did not expect to make a weapon more powerful than anybody could image."
    "What weapon? Neither one of my parents said anything about a weapon."
    "Of course not, after your father found out what he had made, he hid it. For many years nobody knew about it except for the people involved. The only reason your father was safe was because the weapon did not function right. The government was not interested in a dysfunctional weapon. It was only recently when he figured out the conditions of how to actually make it work. That is when all hell broke loose."
    "Maybe that's what Patrick was talking about in the car on the way to the airport. Remember, Kaleb, he said something about a project."
    "So are you saying Karis's father worked on this weapon illegally?" Kaleb asked.
    "No, it was a project that he and others worked on while they were in school. He had permission from the school board to work on the project, but with very strict rules."
    "What kind of rules?" Titanium asked curiously, leaning forward in his chair.
    "From what I know, there were only three rules. The first was that he could only use the training lab at the school to conduct his experiments for the project. The second was he could only pick an elite team of six people to help and they had to swear not to speak of it to anyone. And third, everything must be recorded and reported to the board." Mr. Carson stood up to stretch his legs and walked over to the counter to get a drink of water. "Anybody want a drink?"
    "No, I actually want to know what my parents have to do with this situation." Kaleb asked. "We moved next to Karis when I was eight.  They didn't know Karis' parents when they went to school."
    "Actually Kaleb, they did. They were part of the elite team."
    "What?  I don't understand, my parents never mentioned any of this."  Kaleb said with uncertainty.
    "Surprise, Surprise." Titanium smarted off.
    "Shut up! I don't need your lip right now.  I want to know more about my parents and this project."  Kaleb snapped.
    Titanium opened his mouth to say something else when Karis grabbed his arm gently and slightly shook her head. Titanium closed his mouth and sat back in his chair to listen. Mr. Carson set his water down on the counter and walked over to sit on the corner of his desk in front of Kaleb. "Karis's father picked five of his closest friends to help him. One of those friends was my father, Trevor Carson. That is how I know so much about your parents."
    "Who were the other four?" Titanium asked.
    "Can't you figure that out, jug head? Two of them had to be my parents and one was Karis's mom. Who was the last person?" Kaleb asked scratching his head.
    "The last one was your real father, Kaleb. You have to remember this happened before any of your parents married." Mr. Carson said with a distant look in his eyes as if he was trying to recall a forgotten memory. "My father told me that your real father and Karis's father were very close. They did most of the research on the project.  The others just helped with the experiments."
    "Experiments? What kind of experiments?" Karis asked.
    "They had to use each other's energy from their powers to try to combine them. I don't know exactly what they did to extract the energy but I do know that they failed on the project several times before they decided to quit."
    "So, what happen to the elite team?" Kaleb asked.
    Mr. Carson cleared his throat as he stood up, walked to the counter to and refilled his glass with water. He wiped the sweat beads from his forehead with the sleeve of his shirt as he drained the glass of water and set the empty glass back down on the counter. "The elite team went their separate ways after they graduated. Patrick got a job somewhere, I think in Oklahoma. Kaleb's parents got married and worked at the school. Karis's parents married and took government jobs in Texas."
    "What happened to your father?" Titanium asked leaning forward in his chair.
    Mr. Carson shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He looked over at Kaleb before he answered. "My father tried to get the team back together several years after they graduated when he had some ideas that he thought might work. He got in touch with Karis's father and told him what he thought the problem had been. They agreed to meet and discuss his thoughts.  He wanted to get the whole team together to test the concept and wanted to set up a meeting. The only thing was he had lost contact with some of the team and had no idea how to get in touch."
    "Why was your father still working on the project after the team separated?" Kenny spoke for the first time since they entered Mr. Carson's office.
    "That project was my father's life. The only social life he had in school was the elite team and he was good at what he did. When the project was canceled my father secretly duplicated documents and worked on it in his spare time. After he graduated he still could not let it go.  He knew the team missed something and he was determined to find out what it was. My mother left him when she was eight months pregnant with me because he was so caught up in the project. The project was his life."
    "Wait a minute, I remember overhearing Patrick one night talk about a guy named Trevor that died before they got married.  Was that your father?" Kaleb asked.
    "Yes. My father was killed because of that project. I talked to him a week prior to the accident. He told me that the project was back on but they just had to find the one source of energy to make it complete." Mr. Carson took a deep breath and blew it out slowly then continued, "I heard him say that the project was almost complete so many times that I chose to ignore him. One week later the police came to my house and told my mother that my father was found dead in an abandoned warehouse somewhere in Texas with multiple stab wounds. They believed it to be foul play but they could never find the person who stabbed him."
    "And you believe that it was because of the project. Who do you think killed him?" Kenny inquired curiously as he walked over to Mr. Carson's desk and stood so he could hear the conversation better.
    "I believe that my father came across something that was very important to the project and someone either wanted it to stay quiet or wanted it for themselves. As far as who it could be I have no idea. There were people on the school board that wanted the project to stay quiet and they tried to put a stop to it several times but my father would always persuade them to keep it going. All I know is that the project was totally dropped after his death until recently when Karis' father made some kind of discovery and mutants started coming after both of your families."
    "You said that my real father was involved with the elite team." Kaleb said squeezing his eyebrows together. "What ever happened to him? My mom never told me about any of this, especially my father. Can you tell me what you know about him?"
    "I just know what my father told me a long time ago which was that your real father was a very smart man. A genius.  He was put in charge of determining how the powers could work together. He was so consumed with the project that my father would have to remind him to go eat and sleep, as if my father was not as consumed as your father."  Mr. Carson reflected.  "You father would stay at the school all hours of the night reading, trying to figure out the energy sources. My father told me that one night your father thought he found what they were looking for but it turned out that it would be too dangerous to test without proper containment. Plus, he wasn't sure that he could control the experiment once it was under way.  He got so frustrated that he almost quit the project all together. Your mother was the only one that could calm him down and he decided to stay just for her."
    "So what happened between my mother and my real father? Why did they decide to go their separate ways?" Kaleb was working his jaw as if he was starting to get aggravated.
    "That is something you will have to ask you mother. All I know is that they separated shortly after my father died. Your mother moved away and your real father became a professor at a school in Ireland."
    "I don't understand what the project has to do with us since this so called elite team went their separate ways." Kaleb said rubbing the sweat off the palms of his hands on his jeans. He must have been clenching his fist tightly because when he looked at his hands there were red marks where his fingernails dug into his palms.
    "Even though the group was dismantled that does not mean everyone dismissed the project." Kenny said putting details together. "I bet someone on that school board personally funded the project after they dismissed it.  How else would the elite team be able to continue with it? Money is power and power is greed."
    "I only know what I was told by my father and he truly believed in the project." Mr. Carson said.
    "Okay, now that brings us back to the present. What do we have to do with this? Why are their mutant creatures after Karis?" Titanium asked.
    "I believe they were after Karis's father at first and when they realized he was nowhere around, they chose the second best thing to get to him.  They chose his family." Mr. Carson said looking at Karis. "The reason you two were brought to this school is because I know about the project.  Your parents felt that you would be safer here. I know this school inside and out.  If anything feels out of place, I would be the first to feel it. Plus, we will be able to protect you for the few weeks that you are powerless. The only people at this school that know about your situation are the people in this room with the exception of Jessica who is helping getting your dorms situated. I want to keep it that way. You five are your own elite team, protect each other." Mr. Carson stood up and walked over to his book shelf to grab two thick binders. He handed one to Karis and one to Kaleb. "This is the guidance handbook for the academy. It has everything you need to know in order to attend here. All the rules, regulations, training, classes, abilities, and the layout of the campus are in this manual.  Be sure to read it, then learn it and know it."
    Kaleb flipped through the pages of the binder until he got to the last page. "It's over eight hundred pages long. How are we supposed to have time to read this? I barely read novels over two hundred pages long and that's only if I'm really, really interested in it. That usually takes me over two weeks."
    "Well, then I think you better start practicing speed reading. This handbook is what you need to get through this school. And it will teach you what you need to know about all the powers. Matter of fact, Karis' father helped by updating some of the sections.  That was part of the project."
    "Okay, so what's the plan for us right now until we get our powers?" Karis asked.
    "Just go to the training classes with Kenny and Jessica as planned on your schedule. Try not to interact with the other students, especially arguments." Mr. Carson said looking directly at Kaleb. Titanium snorted loudly then stopped when Mr. Carson glared at him. "As soon as you both get your powers you will carry on just like you both were planning to attend this school. When we find out anything about your parents we will let you know. Until then, obey the rules and learn as much as you can. Just remember this is not permanent.  As soon as everything blows over, you will be back with your parents in Texas."
    "I seriously doubt that this situation is just going to blow over." Karis said. "What about the dorms? Who's going share a room together?"
    "I arranged for Jessica to move into one of the empty dorms with you and Kaleb will be rooming with Kenny. Titanium will get a dorm room to himself for now since he was Kenny's roommate."
    "YES!"  Titanium pumped his fist in the air.  "I mean, that sounds like a good plan, Mr. Carson." Titanium grinned.
    "Okay, since that is settled, why don't you all go to your dorms and get a shower.  You are stinking up my office." Mr. Carson said as he stood up to dismiss the group.
    Titanium raised his arms and sniffed the air. "I don't stink, that aroma is the smell of someone that has kicked some ass."
    "Well, your kick ass smell is peeling the paint off my walls. You need to go take a shower. I will see you later in the dining area." Mr. Carson stated and walked around his desk to open the door for them to leave.
    "I thought I smelled something nasty." Kaleb said to Karis as he grinned at Titanium.
    "Shut up, dweeb, you don't smell like roses."
    "Y'all both shut up! I got a headache." Karis said as she got up and walked towards the door. Right before she made it out the door she remembered something to ask Mr. Carson. "Hey, what about this package I'm supposed to get in the mail from my dad?  Has it come in yet?"
    Mr. Carson gave Karis a confused look. "What package in the mail?"
    "The package that...." Karis continued until Titanium nudged her.
    "Another phone."  Titanium interrupted Karis while he was trying to push her out the door in front of him. "Her dad is supposed to be mailing her another phone since she lost the last one."
    "Oh, I am not sure when it should come in. I had no idea about it, but as soon as it arrives I will let you know."
    "Thank you." Karis said as she gave Titanium a dirty look. She turned on her heel and walked out the door with the rest of the group right behind her. When the door shut behind Kenny, Karis turned and pushed Titanium hard in the chest.  "Don't you ever interrupt me again? I need to know about this package that's being mailed to me and Mr. Carson seems to be the only one who can answer my questions." She hissed.
    "Did you see his face when you asked him about it? He had no idea what you were talking about. You can't trust anybody right now except for our team."
    "Okay, but don't speak for me again.  I can handle my own affairs.  And your attitude sometimes stinks.  I'm so tired of people thinking that I'm weak. I can take care of myself!"
    Titanium took two swift steps forward and stood only inches from Karis's face. "You don't understand.  I know you're not weak.  You just need all the help you can get right now..... Trust me."
    "Hey, get out of her face, Titanium. She has plenty of help. We don't need your attitude."  Kaleb said pushing his way between the two of them.
    "Okay, fine! I'm getting so tired of trying to protect her and saving your butt. I tell you what, when you two figure out that my help is needed, come find me, I might be available." Titanium said through gritted teeth as he shoved Kaleb's shoulder so he could walk away.
    "Wait!" Karis yelled and ran to catch up with Titanium. "Look, I've been under a lot of pressure and you're right, we are a team.  We all need to stick together."
    "What?" Kaleb exclaimed. "Karis, come on. We can take care of ourselves without someone putting us down all the time."
    "No we can't, Kaleb. Remember, we don't have powers.  He's right; we're going to need all the help we can get." Karis turned to look at Titanium. "So, will you stay on our team?"
    "Maybe, if you ask me nicely." Titanium said with a smirk as he crossed his arms over his chest.
    "PLEASE." Karis said drawing out the word while she smiled.
    "I guess so. I love it when you beg."
    "Oh please, whatever." Kaleb said in disgust.
    "Don't hate on me, rookie, I knew you'd see it my way. Now, let's go find Jessica and get you two in your dorms. We all need a shower." Titanium said winking at Karis.
    "Finally, it's about time you start acting like an adult.  A shower is best plan I have heard all day." Kenny said as he walked past everybody towards the dorms.
   Kaleb gave Karis a frustrated look then followed Kenny down the hallway. Karis knew that he was still upset with her for siding with Titanium but she knew they needed him. She figured she could explain what she was thinking with Kaleb later.
    Karis began to follow the guys and stopped when Titanium tapped her on the shoulder and whispered in her ear. "I need to talk to you later, alone."
    She turned to look at him, but he already started walking towards the dorms. She took a deep breath and blew it out slowly, following the group to the dorms.