Chapter Thirteen

Karis ran behind Jessica down the long hallway of the training building, dodging kids who were also rushing to get to their classroom before the tardy bell rang. When they rounded a corner, Jessica stopped in front of a door that had the words 'Seeing Is Believing', painted on it in bright colors.
    "This is the sight classroom." Jessica said patting down her loose fly away hair and catching her breath. "You have your ear piece in your ear, right?"
    "Yeah, it's in place and I can hear you just fine." Karis said pushing the ear piece down further in her ear to make sure it stayed in place.
    "Don't mess with it right now.  You forget these people can see you through objects such as doors." Jessica whispered as she nodded her head towards the door. "Just act normal and follow my lead."
    Jessica pushed the door open dramatically and shouted in front of the class, "Never fear!  Jessica is here.  And this is my side kick, Karis.  Please no autographs at this time, we must get ready for class."
    Everybody in the class looked up to see who was shouting then went back to what they were doing when they realized it was Jessica. Karis hid her face with her hands as she followed Jessica up the steps to a desk on the third row.
    The classroom was shaped like a theater with the projector board in front of the classroom and the students desks were in rows of ten that elevate up steps so each student would be able to see the teacher without any problems. Karis placed her backpack on an isle desk next to Jessica when somebody came up behind her and tapped her on the shoulder.
    "Aye Karis, I see ye made it away from Dalton alive." said a boy's voice with a deep Irish accent behind her. Karis spun around to see Dillon, Taren's twin brother smiling down at her. "Ye got some guts trying to split up that brawl between ye friend and Dalton. Just remember, ye only got the sight power not the strength." Dillon winked at Karis as he sat down in the desk behind Jessica.
    "Hey Dillon, don't you know Karis here can fight like a cougar and love like a kitten." Jessica said as the corner of her mouth curved into a smirk.
    "What's that supposed to mean?" Karis asked Jessica with a confused look.
    "I don't know, I just thought it sounded good."
    "Well use your own name in the comments that you think sounds good, not mine." Karis chuckled as she sat down, digging in her backpack for a piece of paper and pen to take notes.
    "Yeah, the good phrases do sound better with my name in them."  Jessica chuckled.
    Dillon leaned forward on his desk to talk to Karis and Jessica. "Hey, do ye two have plans for the weekend? I have not heard of any parties, but I can conjure one up if need to be."
    "No parties that I heard about, but we need to plan something for Karis and Kaleb's birthday.  Their birthdays are only a week away.  Maybe we can plan something for the weekend after." Jessica said smiling then frowned when she realized what she said.
    Dillon gave Jessica a confused look then his eyes widened when he realized what Jessica actually said.  "Seriously, is that what I think it means?  Ye two snakes are bloody powerless?"  Dillon muttered quietly.
    "JESSICA! That's supposed to be a secret." Karis hissed through gritted teeth then looked at Dillon with pleading eyes. "Dillon, you can't say a word about that, Kaleb and I would be in so much trouble. If anybody found out that we don't have our powers yet... Let's just say, we would be dead. Please keep this quiet. I'll fill you in on the details later."
    Dillon leaned back in his chair, balancing gracefully on two of the chair's legs. "Don't worry, Karis, ye secret is safe with me. Just give me the names that ye want on the guest list and I will put a secret party together for next weekend."
    "There's no list and there's not going to be a party. Too much is at stake here, Dillon. You don't understand." Karis snapped.
    "Come on Karis.  You and Kaleb need to relax." Jessica begged. "It's just one night and we'll focus on your training the next couple of weeks so when the time is right you'll be able to use it to get your parents back."
    "Fine, one night and only our elite group is invited. I don't care if you trust other people, Dillon and Taren are the last one to enter our group, no more."
    "Yay!" Jessica squealed. "I promise you won't regret it. Dillon is awesome at party ideas."
    The classroom suddenly got quiet as the sight teacher walked in the door and put her books down on the table at the front of the classroom. Her waist long brown hair was pulled back in a loose French braid that swayed with every move she made. She looked like she was in her mid-thirties, but when she opened her mouth Karis knew she was wise beyond her years.
    "Good morning class, I'm pleased to see everyone this morning. As I review your lesson plan for today would you please set up in a group of five and practice your sight objectives."
    Karis looked at Jessica nervously. "What are sight objectives?"
    "That's where we put something behind a solid object and have someone tell us what it is. We do it every morning. Ms. Lawson says it clears the mind and focuses on our sight abilities." Jessica said pointing to her head as she stood up. "Follow me.  I'll introduce you to her before we get started."
    Jessica started walking down to the teacher's desk when Karis realized that Jessica wanted her to follow her so she eased up from her chair and quickly caught up with Jessica. Jessica leaned against the teacher's desk and cleared her throat. The woman looked up from her papers to see Jessica grinning at her with her arms crossed.
    "Can I help you, Jessica?"  The woman asked with a heavy English accent.
    "No mam, but I can sure help you."
    "And how on earth could you help me if you do not know what I need help with, hmmm."
    Jessica leaned down with her face only inches away from the teacher's face, tapping her finger on her temple and whispered. "I know these things.  The voice inside my head tells me so."
    The woman leaned back in her chair to put distance between Jessica and her. "Please enlighten me."
    "Okay!" Jessica jumped up and pushed Karis in front of her. "This is Karis Kenzie, she's new here. Karis, this is Ms. Skyler Lawson, but we call her Ms. Lawson. She's our most awesome sight teacher."
    Karis glared at Jessica for a minute for putting her on the spot then glanced at Ms. Lawson with a smile. "Hi, I just moved here from Texas."
    "Texas, huh, long way from home." Ms. Lawson held out her hand for Karis to shake. "Welcome Karis, I'm sure you have made new friends and settled in. You probably feel out of place here, but we take it slow and help each other out.  You will catch on rather quickly, don't worry. It was a pleasure to meet you.  Now would you please take your seats and we can get started."
    Jessica nodded excitedly and skipped back to her seat. Karis started to follow her when Ms. Lawson stopped her momentarily. "Karis, how are your sight skills right now? What I mean is can you see through objects at a short distance or long distance?"
    Karis was caught off guard by the question. "Short distances right now. I haven't got the hang of the whole sight thing yet, just trying to get used to it."
    "Yes, I see. Well, do not worry, that's how you start out. Short distances first, then long distances. If you ever feel lost, come to me and I'll help you. The first objective to your powers is trying to control them."
   "Thank you Ms. Lawson, I'll keep that in mind." Karis turned and walked back up to her desk. As she sat down in her seat she notice a folded piece of paper stuck under her backpack. She opened it up and saw that it was a letter. On the top of the line it read, "Party Guest List" and signed at the bottom was the name, Dillon O'Mylie with a smiley face. Karis looked over her shoulder to see Dillon giving her thumbs up and pointing to the note. To satisfy him she wrote the names of the people in their elite team which consists of seven people including her. She folded the paper and handed it back to Dillon. He gave her a nod as he placed the note in his back pocket.
    The rest of the class period went by pretty quickly. Ms. Lawson demonstrated different techniques to use your mind to search different objects that she would name off behind solid objects with different thickness from a piece of wood to a five inch steel plate. When it came to Karis's turn, Jessica would tell her what to say through the ear piece. Jessica would make sure Karis would struggle a little through the thicker solid material so Karis wouldn't draw too much attention to herself.
    In the next class Karis learned about the different liquids to mix together to make smoke or a small explosion. Chemistry had always been her strongest subject. It was interesting to find out what house hold cleaners could cause a serious chemical reaction when mixed with other house hold cleaners. She knew that if she paid attention she could use this information to her advantage if she needed to. Karis must have really been paying attention because before she knew it, the class was over.
   Karis felt relief when she finally could take her ear piece out in Computer Science.  It was starting to irritate her ear. She slipped the ear piece into her front pocket of her pants to make sure she doesn't lose it. The teacher gave everybody an extra thirty minutes to finish the assignment that she assigned the class a couple days ago. Karis was exempt from the assignment since she was new and Jessica already finished her assignment before she went on her trip to Texas. Jessica scooted her chair over to Karis's computer to help her find information about this guy named James Littleton.
    First, Karis decided to try a general Google search on the man's name.  Unfortunately, there were so many people with the same name and they did not know how to narrow the search. She wasn't as computer savvy as Kenny.  All she knew about computers were how to Google search and get on Facebook.
    "I know you really want to find information on this guy but we don't know enough about computers to find anything on him. Besides, Kenny said he will try to find out more about this guy. What we need to do is make a list of what information we do have and information we need to find out." Jessica grabbed a pen and piece of paper from a nearby desk and wrote 'Things to Do' in big letters on top of the paper. "We know this guy is part of some secret organization because he wouldn't give us any information about who he was or who he worked for right?"
    "Right!  So what do we have?" Karis raised her head and rubbed her tired eyes with her hands. "We have the guy's name and that he might have my parents. We also know he wants the package that I'm supposedly getting soon. What else?"
    "We know that he's not working alone and that he's working for some bogus company. I wonder if this company is the one that made those Scrapers that attacked us at the airport and taxi cab." Jessica said as she doodled on the piece of paper.
    "Oh, I'm pretty sure that's where they came from. We need to get the others and come up with a plan when I go to the train station just in case there are Scrapers there. I know he told me to come alone but how will we know if he is alone? I don't want to take any more chances than necessary."
    Jessica looked at her watch on her wrist. "It's almost lunch time.  We can discuss plans with the others during that time."
    "Speaking of the others, I wonder how Kaleb's doing in his classes."