Chapter Twenty

When they finally made it back to the school, Titanium carried Taren straight to the healing room and carefully laid her on the bed. Sahari immediately started working on Taren. Dillon must have heard the news about his sister because he came crashing through the healing room doors wanting to know how it happened and who he needed to kill. Titanium had to use his strength power to carry him out of the healing room, kicking and screaming, in order for Sahari to work on his sister.
    Karis and Kaleb sat next to each other on a bed in the healing room, watching as Sahari grabbed different medical instruments from a nearby bedside table to work on Taren's stab wound. There was several bloody gauze on the floor around the bed where Taren laid unconscious. Sahari placed an oxygen mask on Taren's face and started an I.V. in each arm to regulate her blood pressure.
    Karis started fidgeting nervously with the ring on her finger while she and Kaleb waited for any news on Taren's condition. She looked down at the shimmering diamond in the ring to make sure it was not damaged from the attack when she noticed that it was back to the bright blue color it was when Kaleb gave it to her. 'What is it about my jewelry changing colors or glowing?' She thought to herself, trying to figure out what happened at the beach.
    As if he was reading her mind Kaleb gently lifted the pendent around Karis's neck with his hand and examined the aqua marine crystal. "So, is this necklace magical or something?"
    Karis looked down at the pendent in his hand. "I wish I knew.  All I know is that it gave me all the powers out there. I had the sight, force, the maker skills, and strength powers all at once. I think that might be what helped me to stop Taren's bleeding."
    "Can you control the powers?" Kaleb asked, letting go of the pendent as it fell perfectly in place above Karis's heart.
    "I'm not sure, I feel like I could, but I'm too afraid to test it."
    Kaleb hopped up off the bed and held his hand out for Karis to take. "Well then, let's go test it together. There's nothing we can do here for Taren except wait. I say let's go see what that baby can do."
   Karis nodded as she took Kaleb's hand and followed him out the door. "Where can we go to make sure we have privacy?"
  "How about the training room.  It's late so I doubt anybody is in there training at this hour."
    "What about the curfew?"
    "Hey, we snuck out of this place over an eight foot wall. I think we can manage getting in the training room without any problems."
    "Sounds like a good plan to me." Karis said as she walked beside Kaleb towards the training building. While they were holding hands, she felt his thumb playing with the ring on her finger. "Hey Kaleb, did you say that this ring changes color?"
    "Yeah, Why?"
    "Is it some kind of mood ring?"
   "Heck no, my parents were never in to that hippy stuff.  Why?"
    "Well, when that creature had me, the ring turned to a neon green color. I thought maybe it changed color because I was scared. It's back to a blue color now."
    "I don't think it has anything to do with fear.  I have had it on me before when we watched scary movies and it stayed a blue color."
    "That's because it was just a movie."
    "No, most of those movies had me terrified.  I just made you think I wasn't scared." Kaleb looked at Karis out of the corner of his eyes. "You know, I have to keep my awesome image."
    "Yeah, keep telling yourself that, babe." Karis giggled.
    "What? You don't think I'm awesome?"
    "Yep. You're right up there with Dean Winchester off of the Supernatural TV series. Matter of fact, you two could pass as brothers, personality only."
    "Ha-ha. You're so very funny. I'm better looking than that character. Besides that's just a TV show, you have the real thing here, baby." Kaleb smirked as he held his arms out and bowed. "I'm here in the flesh, full of pure awesomeness!"
    "Yeah, you're definitely full of something."  Karis laughed.  "Okay, back to the ring.  Maybe it changes color when the person who's wearing it is in danger. You know, kind of like a protection ring."
    "That sounds more realistic to me. Next time one of those creatures comes after us be sure to hold up one finger to it and say, 'Wait Mr. Monster, let me check to see if my ring changes color', I bet it'll stop running after you. Maybe it'll even watch the ring with you. Or better yet, maybe y'all could become BFFs." Kaleb teased, clapping his hands together like he was excited.
    "You're an ass.  I hope you know that!"
    "Yeah, but you love me." Kaleb nudged her playfully with his arm. "On a serious note, just keep the ring on you just in case it does warn you about any danger."
    "I wasn't planning on taking it off." Karis said, tilting her head down, letting her hair to fall freely to one side to cover her scarlet colored face. She glanced at Kaleb through her hair to see the corner of his mouth raise into a self-confident semi-smile. Karis pushed her hair behind her ear and smiled at Kaleb. "Enough about me, when were you planning on telling me that you got the force power, huh?"
    Kaleb shrugged his shoulders. "I guess when I knew for sure that's what it was. I couldn't believe it myself because my birthday isn't for another couple of days, but when we kissed, I felt like I got some kind of power surge. I think it has something to do with that necklace around your neck."
    "Are you sure it wasn't my outstanding kiss."
    "If kissing you does that to me every time, you would have a hard time keeping my lips away from yours." Kaleb chuckled. "But right now, as much as I hate to say it, we need to figure out what our powers can do."
    "I guess you're right.  We both need to test our powers." Karis said, looking down at the pendent. "This thing might even work with you."
    "Maybe, but I think it just gave me a surge of power from us kissing.  Kinda like jump starting a car or something like that.  Hey, we might need to test the kissing thing again, you know, just to make sure." Kaleb said with a crooked smile.
    "Let's just take it one step at a time.  If it's this necklace that is giving us these powers there's no telling who abducted our parents to get their hands on it. This necklace would be a destructible weapon if it falls into the wrong hands."
    "That's why we need to keep this necklace hidden and to ourselves." Kaleb said as he stopped Karis to look her in the eyes. "Look Karis, I know Titanium knows about your power thing, but I'd like to keep my power on a need to know basis.  And he doesn't need to know."
    "Okay, we'll keep your power between us."
    "Thanks.  Now let's get in here and test our skills." Said Kaleb as he held the door to the training facility open for Karis.