Chapter Six

The airplane ride didn't seem as scary as Karis thought it would be at first.  There was a very little turbulence, but nothing to keep anybody awake. Matter of fact, Karis noticed that everybody on the plane was asleep except for her. When Karis looked around everything looked foggy like she was looking through a window that was steamed up after a hot shower. She felt like something was just not right, but she didn't want to overreact or bother Titanium when he was sleeping so soundly beside her. She looked over at Kaleb to see if he might be awake, but he was drooling on the pillow he was laying on.
    At least everybody will be well rested when we land. Karis thought to herself. Her body felt stiff all over from sitting way too long. She was afraid that she would start to cramp up any minute if she did not walk around soon.
    Karis stood up trying not to wake Titanium as she carefully slipped past him, slightly brushing his legs with hers. She breathed in a sigh of relief when she noticed that he was still sleeping. She stood up straighter and started walking towards the bathroom.
    As she walked down the aisle she felt an icy shiver go down her spine that made goose bumps form on her arms and the tiny hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. When she reached the dark green curtain that separated the passenger seats from the lounge, bathrooms, and cockpit she turned around to take one last look at her friends. She smiled to herself when she saw that they all were still sleeping. She didn't understand why she suddenly felt paranoid. Her smile quickly turned to a frown when she noticed Titanium wasn't in his seat where she left him. She looked around the plane to see if she could find him walking around to stretch his legs, but she didn't see him anywhere.
    Karis reached out to move the curtain with her hand when someone grabbed her arm, yanking her inside the empty lounge. Karis squealed as she tried to get away from the person, but he shoved her against wall placing his hips in front of hers to keep her from kicking while pinning her wrists above her head. She couldn't move an inch. She squeezed her eyes shut afraid to see who had her trapped. The person was way too strong for her to try to fight. He was so close to her she could feel his hot breath tickling her loose hair around her neck.
    "Karis, stop struggling. I'm not going to hurt you." Said a familiar voice in her ear. Karis turned her head so fast when she opened her eyes she was face to face with Titanium. They were so close to eachother that she could see the bands of light brown color mixed with his dark brown in the iris of his eyes that stole her breath every time she would look into them.
    "Then why do you have me pinned against the wall?" Karis asked as she felt her heart pounding in her chest. Titanium let go of her wrists to let her arms fall around his shoulders. He placed his hands around her waist to pull her closer.
    "I wanted some time with you without anyone else interfering." Titanium said breathlessly as he crushed his lips down onto hers like nothing was holding him back.
    Karis was caught off guard; she squirmed in his arms for a moment trying to get him to let her go when she realized he had no intentions of letting her go.  She finally gave in and melted into his arms, returning his kiss just as fiercely as he wanted her to. She wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer, tangling her fingers in his hair. She didn't let herself think, she just closed her eyes and let all her feelings go in that one kiss. Titanium traced his fingertips up and down her back as he tilted his head more to kiss her harder. She had a disturbed feeling in the pit of her stomach crying out to her something was very wrong, but she ignored her gut feeling and continued kissing Titanium like he was the only thing keeping her alive. Every place he touched felt like a hot branding iron sizzling on her skin.  The sensual burning pain would make her tingle all over every time he kissed her... Pure pleasure with the pain.
    All of a sudden Karis felt razor sharp claws tearing down her back, drawing warm blood to the surface of her skin that started trickling slowly downward, soaking through her shirt. She bit Titanium's lip, tasting the metallic taste of blood as she jerked her head back unexpectedly to see what was going on. She shoved him away from her causing him to stumble a few feet backwards.
    "What the hell are you doing? Are you crazy?" Karis shrieked looking at the blood smeared on the wall behind her from her back.
    Titanium wiped the splotch of blood from his lip with the back of his hand where Karis bit him as he gave her an evil smile. She noticed where his fingers should have been were long sharp claws with spiked tips that were still dripping with her blood. He scraped them down his face leaving deep bloody incisions from his forehead to his chin. Karis felt her stomach start to churn when his skin started to melt off his face and peel away like a banana. She fell to the ground, landing hard on her knees, dry heaving uncontrollably. When she finally gained control of herself enough to look up, Titanium was no longer standing in front of her. Instead a person with a wolf's head was staring down at her with an evil snarl...........
    Karis shot up out of her deep sleep with her ear muffs still on her ears.  Her shirt was drenched with sweat. She grabbed the arm rest that Titanium's arm was on, sinking her fingernails into his skin without knowing it. Titanium woke up abruptly with his fists raised ready for a fight. He looked around to make sure nothing was trying to attack them. Everything looked normal, most of the passengers were either asleep or watching the movie that was playing on the screen. When he turned to look at Karis he saw the terrified look on her face, so he carefully reached out his hand and took off her ear muffs. "Are you okay? You look like you just seen a zombie."
    "Yeah, I think so. It was just a stupid nightmare." Karis said disgustedly as she relaxed back into her seat, releasing her grip on Titanium's arm. Her hands were trembling uncontrollably. "I use to have nightmares about going to school in only my underwear, but now I'm dreaming about monsters. When did my life take this huge turn from crazy to super deadly crazy. I don't like it."
    "Really?" Titanium had a lost look on his face as if he was in deep concentration. Karis elbowed him to snap him back to reality.
    "Hey, earth to Titanium, what's going on in that head of yours?"
    "Oh, sorry, I just had a mental image of you with nothing but underwear." Titanium said seductively then his voice changed back to normal. "So you were saying something about monsters?"
    Karis looked at him, her eyes blinked in confusion. She wasn't sure if he was serious or just teasing her again. "Very funny, can you please be serious for once in your life, I'm totally freaking out right now."
    "Okay, okay, calm down. Was it the same creature from the airport?"
    "Yeah, but much more..."  Karis paused as her face started to flush when she remembered kissing Titanium in her dream.
    "Well?  Spill it. What was it about?" Titanium waited impatiently for her to tell him about her dream.
    "Um, it's all really fuzzy." Karis stalled trying to figure out a way to tell him about the dream without telling him everything about the dream. Suddenly she felt a vibration at her ankles coming from her back pack.
    "Oh my gosh!  I think my phone is ringing. I hope it's my mom!"  Karis said excitedly.
    She reached down unzipping the pocket on her backpack and took out the phone Kaleb's parents gave her. The display on the phone didn't show a name, but it did show the word 'private caller'. Karis pressed the green button on the phone to answer and placed it up to her ear.
"Hello, this is Karis Kenzie." She answered trying to sound as professional as she could. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Titanium roll his eyes and smirk, but she ignored him.
    "Oh Karis, thank god you're alright. I've been so worried about you." The voice said on the other end of the phone line.
    "MOM!" Karis wailed louder than she meant to.
   The people in front of her turned around again and gave her a dirty look, but she was so relieved to hear her Mother's voice she did not care.
"Where are you? Can you come get us soon? We can meet at the school and...." Karis rushed the words.
    "I'm sorry baby." Beth interrupted. "There's too much at stake and way too dangerous right now for us to be together."
    "More dangerous than Kaleb and I going to a supernatural school without supernatural powers." whispered Karis with contempt. "I think we would be safer with our parents who know what the heck is going on."
    "Look Karis, I don't have much time to talk. Cell phones can be traced easily if you stay on them long enough. There will be a package sent to you at the school.  It will be from your father. Do not open it! Put it in a locked safe of some kind or hide it in a place only you will know. This is very important Karis. I'll explain everything later but don't lose it or give it to someone."
    "What's in the package?" Karis asked out of curiosity.
    "I can't tell you right now, too many ears could be listening. All you need to know is that it has something to do with your Father's project and the wrong people want it."
    "So it's a weapon of some kind?"
    "Sort of, it's too hard to explain right now. You're on a need to know basis right now and all you need to know is that it could be very dangerous if it falls into the wrong person's hands. We don't have a choice.  You're the only one we can trust to send it to.  Just be careful.  Remember, don't give it to anyone.  We could've given it to you sooner, but we didn't want anything happening to you until you were properly trained."
    "Too late mom, we were attacked at the airport by the same creatures that attacked us at our house. Kaleb and I ran while Titanium took care of them, but what if there were more of them?"
    "I thought for sure they didn't see you at the house. Just be careful and keep your eyes open. I have to go now. I'll call you back soon. I love you." Beth said hurriedly.
    "I love you too." Karis said, but all she heard was a click followed by the dial tone. Beth hung up the phone before Karis was done talking. Karis sat there stunned looking at the phone. Her eyes burned like they were on fire. She bit her bottom lip, trying to fight back the tears that were the verge of flowing.
    Titanium looked at her and gently took the phone from her. "Hey, don't worry. You're safe with us."
    "That's not what I'm worried about. My mom never hangs up the phone before she hears me say I love you. This situation we're in is very serious and it scares the crap out of me. Now if you'll excuse me for a moment I'm going to slip off to the bathroom and blow my nose."
    "Do you need me to go with you?" Titanium asked protectively.
    "No, I'm a big girl even though I don't act like it half the time."
    "I didn't...." Titanium stammered.
    "I know.  I'll be okay. Thanks."  Karis said as she stood up and scooted past Titanium. Just as she stepped out in the isle she stumbled over Titanium's feet and landed in Kaleb's lap. Karis tried to stand right back up, but Kaleb was startled out of his sleep and bumped foreheads with Karis.
    "Ouch! I'm sorry I didn't mean to fall on you like that, I was heading to the bathroom and..." Karis lost her train of thought when she looked into Kaleb's sleepy blue eyes that were the color of a cloudless sky. "Oh, never mind, thanks for breaking my fall."
    He looked down at her and smiled, rubbing his forehead where she had collided with him. "Anytime, just next time wake me up before you fall so I can be prepared to catch you without pain."
    "Next time I'll be more careful." Karis mumbled as she stood up in the isle.
    "That's okay. I needed to wake up anyway." Kaleb said in a strained voice as he raised his arms over his head to stretch his tight muscles. He looked up at Karis. "Are you alright, you look like you've been crying?" Kaleb narrowed his eyes at Titanium. "He didn't make you cry did he?"
    Titanium snickered. "Like you could do anything about it if I did."
    "No, he has been on his best behavior." Karis said as she ruffled Titanium's hair with her hand making it messy.
    "Hey, watch the hair, you think Samson was bad when someone messed with his hair, you don't want to see me." Titanium started patting his hair down with his hands. He looked up at Karis and nonchalantly said, "Besides, the gods would die for hair like mine."
    "Yeah, whatever you say, Hercules." Kaleb said through clenched teeth.
    "It's Samson, dumbass.  Haven't you learned anything from the bible or are you just jealous?"
   "That is so ridiculous I'm not even going to respond to it."
    "You just did, dimwit."
    "Both of you just grow up and stop trying to outdo each other. I need you to get me through this alive. Why can't you two just get along like Jessica and Kenny?" Karis said pointing at the two of them sound asleep, leaning on each other. "Oh never mind, if you both will excuse me I'm going to the bathroom."
    "Hey, Karis, do you need me to come with you?"  Kaleb asked her, sounding a little more concerned than he wanted her to know.
    "No! Why is everybody asking me that? I can take care of myself in the bathroom of an airplane!"
    "I just thought you might need someone to talk to that's all. You've been crying and that's not like you. Are you sure you're okay? Why were you crying?"
    "Because I just got finished talking to my mom on the phone and I still don't know what's going on. I'll fill you in on the conversation in a minute, I need to freshen up. I promise I'll be right back."
    Karis turned around and tapped Titanium lightly on the shoulder. He looked up into her sorrowful eyes when she pointed at her backpack. He handed it to her without saying a word. She took it and walked to the bathroom. Everything seemed normal to Karis, but she stopped before she went through the green curtain to make sure nothing seemed out of place or strange like her dream. She took one last look at her friends' worried expressions and walked through the curtain to the restroom door.
    Kaleb looked at Titanium with revulsion. He couldn't understand what it was that made him dislike Titanium so much. Of course he was a jerk, but Kaleb usually could ignore the sly comments that guys like him made. Kaleb knew all Titanium was trying to do was impress Karis by making himself the exciting good guy and Kaleb like the retarded normal boy. Kaleb hoped Karis was too smart to fall for any of it. Now Kaleb realized that he needed to strike up an unwanted conversation with Titanium to find out what Karis was crying about.
    "Hey man, did Karis tell you what her conversation with her mom was about?" Kaleb curiously asked Titanium.
    "No, if she wanted us to know she would've told us. Oh, by the way, I don't think you scored any BFF brownie points this time, but nice try." Titanium said with a smile. "I especially liked the part when you said, 'I just thought you might need a shoulder to cry on'. That was priceless!"
    "I said if she needs someone to talk to, you idjit!".
    "What the hell is an idjit?"
    Kaleb could feel the heat buildup in his face as his temper started to rise. He clenched his fist so tight that he thought his fingernails punctured the palm of his hands, but he managed to calm his nerves and loosen up before he said something he might regret. "Look, we need to somehow get along for Karis' sake. I know you don't like me...." Kaleb paused and inhaled a slow deep breath waiting for a reaction from Titanium before he continued. Titanium remained silent as he kept his eyes fixed on picking the dirt out from under his fingernails, pretending to ignore everything that Kaleb was saying. Kaleb gritted his teeth. "What's your problem? I know you don't have feelings for Karis, you barely even know her! Are you trying to be her friend or just have a fling with her to make you look like a ladies man at school?"
    Titanium looked up from his fingernails and without looking at Kaleb he glared scornfully at the back of the seat in front of him. He spoke slowly to Kaleb though tightly clenched teeth. "You are right! I don't like you. Besides, you know nothing about me. The only reason I haven't kicked your ass yet is because of her.  I don't have to answer to you and I sure as hell don't have to explain myself to you. So take your pretty boy questions and shove them straight up your ass, because I'm here to protect her not you.  So, if I were you I'd back off before I snap."
    Kaleb was extremely angry, but knew he couldn't do anything to Titanium without powers. He sat back in his chair and counted to ten to calm his emotions before he continued. "Okay, that came out wrong. We're all on the same team. You and I are trying to protect the same person. Now, how can we manage to do that to the best of our abilities without killing eachother? What do we need to do when we get to school?"
    Titanium turned his head and gave Kaleb an unsettled look. "On the same team? Does this look like a football game to you? There are Scrapers after Karis and you're worried about people's feelings. The best thing for you to do when we get to the school is keep your mouth shut and follow my lead. I don't even know what to expect when we get there, but I can't let her know that or she would be terrified. She has enough to worry about already."
    "You don't think I know that, jackass! I've been friends with Karis since we were little kids. I know what she can and can't handle. She's a lot stronger and smarter than you think, so go ahead, act like the big bad hero. She will see right through you."  Kaleb said as he stood up in the isle.
    "Where do you think you're going?" Titanium asked as he looked up at Kaleb.
    "I'm going to check on my best friend. She has been in the bathroom for a while, possibly crying. She might need someone who cares about her 'feelings' to talk to." Kaleb said dramatically (using his fingers to make quotation mark in the air when he said the word feelings) and started walking toward the bathroom to find Karis.