Chapter Eighteen

In the orange tinted horizon, the sun had just set below the tree line turning her surroundings a dusky brown color making it hard to see. Karis looked down at the outfit she was wearing and irritably sighed knowing that she would have chosen a less bright outfit if Jessica had told her they were going to be sneaking around in the dark.
Karis followed her friends across the campus yard, sneaking into shadows and peaking around trees to make sure no one was looking out their windows or walking down the sidewalk while they make their hasty getaway. Karis felt like a cartoon character from the Looney Tunes show every time she would peek around a tree or sneak through the yard without being seen. She really didn't know what kind of trouble they would be in if they got caught, but she prayed to herself that they wouldn't get caught.
Titanium noticed that Karis looked nervous, so he slowed his pace to walk beside her. "Don't worry, the fence is just a little further ahead and we'll be home free. We do this all the time."
"I know. I just feel bad about going to a party with my parents still trapped somewhere. I feel like we should be concentrating on getting them out instead of my birthday."
Titanium stopped Karis, letting the others walk ahead of them to get out of hearing range. "Karis, there's nothing we can do for them tonight. Even if you had received the package, we wouldn't get a good plan together until tomorrow anyway, so just relax. You deserve to have a little fun on your birthday."
Karis felt guilty for not telling Titanium that she already received the package, but she didn't want to ruin his afternoon. This might be the only time for the group to really relax before they do what they call the 'Parent Exchange'. Just because she felt uncomfortable didn't mean she should make everybody else uncomfortable. "Okay, I'll try to have a good time."
"Did you like the present I got you?"
Karis smiled. "Yes, you did well. Oh and thank you for the rose, it was sweet."
Titanium looked shyly down at his feet and grinned. "I hoped you liked that, I've never given a flower to someone before. I didn't know if it was too soon or not."
Karis suddenly got a nervous feeling in the pit of her stomach. She hoped Titanium didn't think that they were taking their relationship to another level. "Titanium? I don't...."
"Are y'all trying to get us caught? Come on, we need to get over this fence. Like now!" Jessica interrupted in a semi whisper, trying to keep her voice down.
Titanium grabbed Karis's hand and pulled her towards the fence. "We can talk more when we get to the location, right now I have to help these slackers over this privacy fence."
As they walked up to where everybody was standing around the fence, Titanium squatted down and cupped his hands together for Kenny to place his foot on it. Kenny gave Titanium the go ahead to lift him over the fence. When Titanium lifted his hands Kenny jumped, grabbing the top of the fence for balance as he swung his legs over the fence without touching it. Kenny landed softly on the other side. Karis heard him give a signal whistle that sounded like a Bob White bird to let everybody know he was okay. Jessica was the next in line to go over the fence.
Karis was watching Jessica prepare herself for the lift when she felt Kaleb tap her lightly on the shoulder and whispered. "Hey, what were you and Titanium talking about? You didn't tell him about the package yet, did ya?"
"No, I was going to wait until tomorrow when everybody was together. Besides, we need to talk first."
"Good. The less he knows right now the better. I'd hate for him to get another power trip and think he's running the show."
Karis raised one eyebrow at Kaleb. "I thought you two settled your differences and became friends. You really don't like him, do you?"
Kaleb made a goofy face at Karis that almost made her laugh out loud. "Duh, like I told you before, I just don't trust the boy." Kaleb said with his back turned towards the others at the fence. "He doesn't irritate you with his I'm better than everybody attitude? He really, really annoys me. I mean, come on, nobody can actually think they're that perfect. Yeah, he has strength, but lacks the brains."
"Um, Kaleb." Karis shook her head slightly, trying to get Kaleb's attention, but he ignored her attempts and continued talking.
"If Titanium's IQ was the same as the weight he can bench press then I'd say he's an okay guy, but man when it comes to common sense, the boy is three bricks shy of a load." Kaleb finally noticed Karis's pale face and wide eyes which made him shut his mouth instantly. He slowly closed his eyes and lowered his head in defeat. "He's standing behind me isn't he?"
"Really, jackass, you compare my brain to a brick wall, most people think I am a brick wall. I'd think you of all people would come up with something better than that. I believe the jealous rage you feel towards me has messed with your thinking process. Your come back jokes really suck right now." Titanium said, narrowing his eyes at Kaleb. "Just remember who's going to be getting you in and out of this place. I think you better appreciate my strength right now, because there's no other way around this fence without getting caught. I could just leave your ass here."
Kaleb raised his head and rolled his eyes as he walked up to the eight foot high fence to see if there was a way to get over it without Titanium's help. The left side of the fence continued as far as the eye could see in the dark and the right side lead to the main entrance where multiple video cameras monitored the entrance. When Kaleb finally realized that he was going to have to have Titanium's help, he turned around and gave Titanium an apology smile. "Okay man, your right. I was being an ass, let's just get to where we're going and I promise I'll try not to tease you anymore. Forget I even said anything."
"You better be glad she's on your side." Titanium said pointing at Karis. "She's the only one keeping you safe right now."
"Alright guys, let's just focus on getting out of here before we get caught." Karis said.
"Hey, ye coming? We don't have all night." Dillon said in a low voice from the other side of the fence. "Ye can fight over Karis once we get there. Let's go!"
Titanium made a growling noise in his throat as he squatted down to help lift Kaleb over the fence. "Don't sprain an ankle cause I'm sure not going to carry you all the way down to the beach, no matter how much you beg."
Kaleb placed his foot in Titanium's cupped hands. "So, that's where we are going. To the beach?"
Before Kaleb could get another word out of his mouth Titanium jerked his arms up in one swift move and Kaleb flew head first over the fence. Karis heard a loud thump as he landed on the other side. Dillon and Jessica busted into a fit of laughter.
Titanium looked at Karis with a devilish grin, holding his stomach to try not to laugh out loud. "Sorry man, I guess I'm stronger than I thought."
"Yeah, no worries. I broke the fall with my head. No harm, no foul." Kaleb moaned from the other side of the fence. "Oh and don't worry, I didn't sprain my ankle. Maybe just a small concussion, but I'm good."
"That was the funniest thing I have ever seen." Jessica giggled out loud.
"Aye, Kaleb did a perfect swan dive. On his head!" Dillon finished with a fit of laughter.
"Okay, I see how it is. Laugh it up now, I'll find a way to get all you back somehow." Kaleb said as he wiped the dirt off his shoulders.
Karis looked at Titanium apprehensively. "You're not going to do that to me, are you?"
Titanium smirked as he squatted down for Karis to step in his cupped hands. "Nah, I kind of like you."
Karis put her hands on Titanium's shoulders to balance herself as she placed her foot in his hands. Their faces were just inches from each other. Karis looked down at him to let him know she was ready when he leaned in and softly kissed her on the lips. It was a tender kiss, not like the last one they experienced together. It surprised Karis how someone with such strength could be so affectionate at times. When he was alone with her, Titanium was not the arrogant guy that liked to bully Kaleb. He cared about what she thought and put her feelings first. They gazed into each other's eyes for a moment until Karis heard Taren call out to them on the other side of the fence.
"Are ye coming or not?"
Titanium closed his eyes and rested his forehead on Karis's forehead. "I guess we can continue this later."
"Yeah, later." Karis whispered, trying to catch her breath.
Titanium grabbed her waist instead of her feet and lifted her up gentle while she easily climbed over the fence without falling. Kaleb had his hands up and ready to catch Karis if she needed him to. When she was safely on the other side Titanium jumped up, grabbed the top of the fence with both hands and hoisted himself over in one swift motion landing perfectly on his feet in front of Karis.
Kaleb narrowed his eyes at Titanium. "I could've landed like that if someone, not naming any names, didn't launch me over the fence like a grenade that was about to explode in his hands." Kaleb scowled. "Remind me never to be your partner in any mutant killing contest. I believe you would use me as bait."
Titanium smirked at Kaleb with a victorious grin. "You wouldn't make good bait. The mutant would probably just spit you out."
Kaleb faked a laugh then made a serious face at Titanium. "Not cool, dude, so not cool."
Dillon cleared his throat loudly. "Okay, goms, if yer finished with the 'I'm better than ye conversation', we can start hiking to our location." Dillon said as he walked down a well-used trail in front of the group.
Karis figured Dillon was using his sight power to walk down the trail since it was getting dark and nobody had flashlights. The woods and brush closed in on either side of Karis as she entered the trail. She followed close behind Kaleb, ducking when he told her to duck so she wouldn't get slapped by a low tree branch or a thorny bush. Titanium was following Taren and Dillon, as the rest of the group followed behind Karis.
"How far is this place we're going to?" Kaleb asked.
"Not far, ye will not be disappointed. I have set a perfect spot for us to be able to have some fun without any interruptions. Just be prepared for the night of yer lives." Dillon said with satisfaction.
"Oh great! The last time you said to be prepared for the night of our lives you caught my pants on fire." Titanium said. "I still have the scar on my leg to prove it."
"That was not me fault!" Dillon exclaimed.
"Not your fault? " Titanium interrupted Dillion, and then stated louder, "Not your fault! You're the one that brought the bucket of gasoline to start the fire instead of diesel."
"Are you serious, you actually used a whole bucket of gasoline to start a fire? Could y'all not tell the difference from the smell of the fumes?" Kaleb asked as he tried not to laugh.
"I wasn't even near the fire! I asked this idiot if he was sure it was the right stuff and he said and I quote- 'I'm not a gobdaw. I know the difference between gasoline and diesel!'" Titanium said, mocking an Irish accent as he quoted Dillon. "Now I'm asking you again today, Dillon. Are you sure you got the diesel?"
"Aye, ye eejit, I got the diesel!" Dillon snapped as he grabbed a low hanging branch and held it for Taren to walk through. As soon as she walked passed Dillon, he let go of the branch and it flew back slapping Titanium in the face. Titanium grabbed the branch and snapped it in half. He threw the broken branch at Dillon, but missed him by several inches.
Dillon looked back at Titanium and chuckled when he saw red welts form on his cheek from the branch that hit him in the face. "Aye, I hope I didn't hurt yer ego there, Titanium."
"Just keep walking, Dillon. Just keep walking." Titanium warned.
"Wait a minute, I remember the night Titanium caught his pants on fire. Man that was the funniest thing I've ever seen." Kenny reminisced as he told the story. "Titanium was dancing around like he had ants in his pants. Every time he would stomp his feet, the fire would flame up again. All he had to do was throw some sand on his pants to put out the fire but Titanium panicked and made it worse. By the time he finally got the fire out, his pants were burnt all the way up to his thighs." Kenny was laughing so hard he had trouble telling the story. Karis or Kaleb could hardly understand him. Everybody busted into laughter because Kenny was almost in tears from laughing so hard.
Titanium gave Kenny a deadly look. "Yeah, go ahead, laugh it up now. Just remember, I've got dirt on each of you so what goes around, comes around, especially you Kenny."
"Oh, Titanium. Kenny is just acting the maggot as usual. He's only slagging around. Ye need pay him no mind." Said Taren.
"Wow Taren, I believe this has been the longest you have gone without talking since I've met you, why are you so quiet?" Jessica asked with a worried look on her face. "Are you feeling Okay?"
Taren looked towards Titanium and then gave Jessica a fake smile. "Aye, I just have a lot on me mind. I'll be okey, just a bit jaded from the walk. I'll be better when we get to the party location."
"We are here!" Dillon shouted excitedly. "Welcome to me party place."
As Karis and Kaleb emerged from the wooded area, their shoes filled with white sand. Karis stopped walking and took in the scenery that surrounded her. There was white shimmering sand that seemed to glow in the moon light on both sides of her as far as the eye could see. Beautiful white cap waves rolled onto the beach. The peaceful sound of each wave whispered with the slight breeze off the water. Dillon and Titanium started to gather drift wood from the beach to make a fire as Taren, Kenny, and Jessica found the perfect spot to make camp.
Kaleb put his arm around Karis. "This is pretty cool, isn't it? We finally get to go to a nice beach. No seaweed around our feet, just white sand and the smell of salt water."
"Yeah, I just wish our parents were here to enjoy this with us."
"Just think, when we get them back we can plan a trip like this. Even your little brother can come with us. How does that sound?" Kaleb said with a faint smile.
"That sounds like a great plan! After this we'll all need a vacation."
Kaleb placed his finger under Karis's chin and lifted her face to meet his gaze. The moonlight illuminated his blue eyes, beneath his dark hair that blew wildly in the sea breeze. "It's going to be okay, I promise! Now, you need to relax and have a good time, it's your birthday for crying out loud. You deserve a little fun."
Karis smiled shyly at Kaleb as he lowered his hand from her chin. "Okay, I'll try, but only because it's your birthday party too."
Kaleb's eyes got wide as he remembered something. "Oh yeah, by the way, I got you a birthday present."
"Really, how? When did you have time?"
"Well, I've had it for quite a while now. I've been planning on giving it to you for two years. I just thought, um, your sixteenth birthday would be a perfect time." Kaleb stuttered as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a silver ring with a Celtic knot formed into star and a heart. It had a blue diamond in the middle that was the same color as his eyes. "It's a friendship ring. The star means protection and the heart means, you know.... Love.... But friendship love, unless that changes later."
Karis couldn't see Kaleb's face in the dark, but by the way his voice cracked she could tell he was embarrassed and probably turning several shades of red. "Wow Kaleb, I don't know what to say."
"Anyway, the Celtic knot means never ending. So you will always have protection and love. The neat thing about the ring is the diamond on it seems to change colors, sometimes it's blue and sometimes it's green. I never understood that, but I think it's kind of cool."
"It's absolutely beautiful. Thank you Kaleb! You mean the world to me, I hope you know that."
"I know, you mean the world to me too, but I didn't give the ring to you for you to feel sorry for me or feel the need to say something you will regret later. When your heart is ready to make a decision you will know and I'll be here no matter what. Now, which finger does it fit on?" Kaleb caressed Karis's right hand and slipped the ring on her ring finger. It was a little loose, but not enough that it would slip off. "There, a perfect fit. It looks good on you."
Karis held out her hand to look at the ring on her finger. The diamond was still a beautiful blue color. It reminded her of the necklace that was in her pocket. She looked down at her pants and saw that half of the necklace was hanging out of her pocket. Kaleb followed her gaze and grabbed the necklace before it fell out of her pocket. He held it up so the moonlight would reflect off the stone. "That's cool. The stone in this necklace is almost the same color as the diamond in your ring. I like the sound of that, your ring. It has a nice 'RING' to it." A smile punctuated Kaleb's words. "You get it don't you? Ring to it? Well I thought it was funny."
Karis narrowed her eyes at him. "Very funny, now give me back the necklace."
Kaleb jerked the necklace up out of Karis's reach when she tried to grab it. "Wait a second, you're going to lose it if you put it back in your pocket. I think you should wear it just for tonight, then when we get back to the school we can put it back in the box and show the others tomorrow. That would be the safest thing to do."
Karis gave him a doubtful look, but realized that he was right. They couldn't afford losing the one item that could save their parents. "Fine, just for tonight."
Kaleb put the necklace gently around Karis's neck and closed the clasp. When Karis turned around the necklace fell perfectly in place where the pendent was directly over her heart. Suddenly she felt a hard thump in her chest, like the percussion from a bass drum without the sound. A breath caught in Karis's throat. Panic made her flinch as Kaleb grabbed her arms to keep her from collapsing.
"Did you feel that?" Karis asked Kaleb in a whisper still trying to catch her breath.
"Feel what, are you okay?" Kaleb asked curiously, still hanging on to her arms. "Do you want to go back to the campus? We can party some other time if you're not feeling well."
Karis stood her ground and patted Kaleb on his hands. "No. I'm fine. I think all this excitement has me feeling a little nervous. I'll be fine, let's go sit by the others.".
"Okay, but if you pass out on me, I swear I'll carry you back kicking and screaming if I have to."
"I'm fine Kaleb, you worry too much. Thank you again for the ring. I love it. I don't have anything for you yet, but when this is over, I'll make up for it."
Kaleb opened his mouth to say something else when Titanium walked up to him with his arms full of drift wood. "Are you going to stand there like a little girl or help find some more drift wood to burn? This is Karis's birthday. She doesn't need to freeze to death when she finally turned sixteen."
"Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Whatever." Kaleb turned his attention back to Karis. "You go sit down with the others while we get things set up. Stop being so nervous, it's going to be a good night."
Karis nodded silently and started walking over to where the others were sitting. She looked over her shoulder at Kaleb and Titanium, as she rubbed her trembling hands together to try to warm them as she said under her breath. "I certainly hope so."