Chapter Eighteen

Sorry it's been so long! I've rewritten this chapter like four times until it finally felt right. I originally saw it going one way and once it was all right there in front of me, it was all wrong. So I hope you enjoy it! Excuse the errors, I'm uploading this from my phone at work lol.

Chapter Eighteen

    Dinner last night was so painfully awkward, for me at least; Sam seemed comfortable. I'm just not used to this. The whole dinner with the parents felt much more welcoming with his family. My family is just royally fucked up at the moment and I'm pissed that my dad couldn't have made more of an effort to be there. My mom however was charmed by Sam, not that I was expecting anything less. He manages to charm the hell out of me every time he opens his mouth. He just makes everything so...easy, but difficult all at once.
    I haven't been able to stop thinking about his invite to Philadelphia. I honestly don't know if I should go. A very small part of me hopes that when he talks to his family they'll say no, so that there won't be as much pressure on me to say yes. Don't get me wrong, in theory I want to go with him, but realistically I think that making plans for something that is a few months away is a bad decision. I don't want to jinx what we have going on by planning for something so far in the future. I'm probably just overthinking this situation entirely.
    There's also another problem that's causing me to not go with him. Brielle and Brody. If Sam finds out about it and knows that I knew the whole time and didn't tell him, I highly doubt he'll want to bring me to meet his family and scout for colleges. Sam and I haven't put a label on what we are, but we trust each other. By me not telling him what's going on, I'm breaking that trust and that's the last thing I want to do.
    I'm so pissed at Tommy and Hayley for bringing me into this. If they could've just kept this to themselves I wouldn't be in this situation.
    I grab my phone off of my nightstand and roll eyes at Sam's cheesy Good morning text that I actually love receiving. I push my hair out of my face and smile as I read the rest of the message that tells me he'll pick me up at seven.
    Good morning. What should I wear tonight?
    I crawl out of bed and make my way downstairs. I see that I'm not the only one who's awake before noon. Brian looks like he just stumbled out of bed and Jenna looks like she just got here. I remember him saying something about her hanging out with him today.
    Sam left a little late last night. As much as I'd love to say that we put my comfy bed to good use, we actually talked and he asked a lot about my parents. Okay, so we made out in between, but it was totally harmless. To my surprise, it was rather easy being completely honest with him. I left Josh's name out of it, but I told him how me going off the rails my freshman year is what put them over the edge and how they haven't been the same since. Of course, Sam told me that it wasn't my fault, but I know it was. What else could it have been?
    And then we made out and the topic was dismissed.
    "Good morning everybody," I chirp, walking over to the fridge. I stare at the orange juice and almost grab the carton, but I grab the grape juice instead.
    "You're really happy today," Jenna comments.
    I get a glass and sit at the table with them, filling the glass with juice. I shrug, sipping my grape juice. My phone buzzes in my hand and I look down, seeing a response from Sam.
    Something blue.
    Lol why blue?
    He responds almost instantly. It's my favorite color on and off of you(:
    His message actually makes me blush. Sam's flirting skills are honestly almost as advanced as mine.
    Brian clears his throat, making me look up at him. "Mom lectured me for being and ass last night and I'm supposed to apologize."
    "You've always been an ass, I don't care about that," I laugh. "I need to talk to you actually, all assy-ness aside."
    "About what?"
    "It involves Brody and Brielle," I state.
    His eyes shoot open. "You know?"
    "Tommy and Hayley have big mouths," I inform him.
    "You didn't tell Sam, did you?"
    I shake my head. "No, but you're going to."
    "Yeah, when the season's over," he states.
    "You really think that everybody will last that long?"
    Brian nods. "We've known since a few days after it happened and we've managed this far," he admits. "Look, Brittany, I know that you and Sam are... whatever, but there's already so much tension between Sam and Brody, not to mention a few other guys on the team. Hell, even I have a problem with Brody, but we need him for playoffs. I hate the dude, but he's a great player."
    I stare down at my grape juice. "What if he finds out I knew and didn't tell him?" I say quietly.
    "I'm going to let you guys talk," Jenna says, once she realizes that she doesn't have a place in this conversation.
    "I know you don't think I'm that great of a person because I've made a lot of shitty decisions and that's okay," I pause trying to think of what I should say next. "But, Brian, I really like him. He trusts me and as much as that scares the shit out of me, I really don't want to screw it up," I confess.
    Brian takes a deep breath. "Give me a few days and I'll come up with something," he says.
    "If you don't tell him by next week, I'm telling him. It's not up to you or any of the guys on the team, you can't fuck with someone's emotions like that."
    "Oh, you're one to talk."
    "Yeah, well, at least I'm trying to change," I point out, standing up from the table.
    I walk into the living room and see Jenna on the couch sitting next to my mom who's wrapped in a throw blanket sipping coffee. The TV is turned on to Ellen Degeneres. Why do I feel like this is so fucking weird?
    "Are you okay, Mom? You're usually saving the world by now," I joke.
    "Do you girls want to go shopping?" My mom asks, randomly.
    "Where did that come from?"
    She practically jumps up from the couch. "Let's go to the mall," she says.
    I giggle. "Okay, I'm in."
    "I'm supposed to hang out with Brian today," Jenna says.
    My mom looks at me. "How about a little mother-daughter shopping spree?" She asks, excited. "We can get you an outfit for your date tonight!"
    "Really?"
    "Yeah, it's been forever since we've just had a day together, I'm going to go get dressed."
    By the time we get finished at the mall, my mom has almost talked both of my ears off; asking me every possible question under the sun. As happy as I am to be spending time with her, I'm also a little frustrated that she's trying to cram the past three years into one day. Where was this mom when I was heartbroken over Josh? Or wanted her writing expertise on one of my papers? I guess there are good aspects to her and my dad being slightly absent. I'm definitely more independent because her and my dad were never the type to breathe down my neck, however it also has a little to do with why I'm in shitty positions; there's not consistent guidance.
    I'm not trying to be that person who blames their parents for everything that's bad in life, but it definitely has an impact.
    Back at home, she's in the middle of curling my hair while I apply a little make-up. I'm looking forward to wearing the black casual, but very backless maxi dress she bought me. It has a circle cut out starting just below where my bra rests, so I'm still able to wear something blue underneath and keep it hidden until the right time.
    "Do you know where he's taking you?" My mom asks, twirling my hair around a wand.
    "Not really, he tossed around a few ideas, but his sister told me that was just to throw me off so I'd be a little supposed."
    "So, does this make Sam your boyfriend? Have you guys DTR-ed?"
    I stare at her reflection in the mirror since she has a handful of my hair, otherwise I would've jerked my head to look at her. "What the hell is DTR, mom?"
    "Define The Relationship. You know, like Jenna and Matty on Awkward."
    "What." It doesn't even come out as a question, I'm so lost.
    "The other night Jenna was over and she got me hooked on it. That Matty boy sure is a hot piece."
    I start laughing. "I've never watched it."
    "You should, Jenna let me borrow her copies of the first three seasons. I'm going to start watching it after I get back from my yoga class that I just signed up for."
    "That sounds like fun," I say, trying to sound supportive.
    "Uh huh, so DTR, yes or no?"
    "No, not really, neither of us are seeing other people, but I wouldn't call him my...boyfriend?"
    "Have you guys, um...you know—"
    "Mom! No, we're not rushing anything."
    "You're still on the pill, right? And of course you have—"
    "Yes, mom, we really don't have to have this discussion."
    She nods along. "As long as you're being smart and safe. Don't let Sam pressure you into something that you're not—"
    "You really don't have to worry about that," I promise.
    "Brittany!" I hear Brian yell from downstairs. "Sam's here!"
    "Shit, I'm not even ready."
    "I'm all finished," she says, turning off the curling wand. My long hair is now in loose beach waves. I comb my fingers through it, breaking up the strands that have clustered together.
    "How's my make-up?"
    "I like how natural it looks," she compliments, looking through the make-up on my sink counter. "Wear this one," she says, handing me a tube of dark nude lipstick. I swipe the color on as quickly and carefully as possible.
    My mom goes downstairs to keep Sam busy while I change into the dress, being sure to put on my royal blue bra first. Since the dress is casual, I can easily slip it over my head. My mom bought me a pair of silver and black strappy sandals earlier at the mall so I step into those before grabbing my clutch and rushing out of my room.
    To avoid the whole cheesy staircase entrance, I don't announce my presence as I make my way downstairs. Sam's in the living room, talking with my mom, I think she's weaseling more information out of him about this whole Philadelphia trip in the spring time. She's been really encouraging about it.
    "You ready?" I ask Sam, getting his attention.
    He turns his head and smiles. "Wow, you...look beautiful."
    I blush, grinning like an idiot. "Don't sound so surprised."
    "Where are you two going?"
    "The fall carnival on the pier," he answers, looking at me again. "If that's okay?"
    I nod. "Yeah, that sounds fun, I've actually never been to a carnival." My stomach is in knots because of how nervous I am.
    "Let me get my camera!" My mom chirps, running out of the room.
    "Mom..." I groan.
    Sam steps closer to me when my mom is out of the room. His arms wrap around my waist and pull me in. "No blue?" he inquires quietly.
    "If you play your carnival games right, you may see some blue later," I inform him.
    His cheeks redden as my mom bounces back into the room with a camera.