Chapter Nineteen

Sorry it's been a while. Adulting really sucks and I've been working on lots of side projects which has become a little more therapeutic for me. My taste in writing has evolved quite a bit, hopefully I can share that soon!

Anyway, hope you enjoy this, sorry it took so long.

Recap: Sam was dropping off Jordan and a very intoxicated Josh after the date.

SORRY IF THERE ARE ERRORS, I'M ON A DEPRESSION BINGE AND I'M TIRED AF. Love you all.❤️

Chapter Nineteen

    This all feels sickeningly familiar, I think to myself as Jordan and I lay josh down in his bed. I don't know why I'm even surprised at him making an ass out of himself, that's what he does best.

    "I'm really sorry about this, Brittany," Jordan says quietly. "Where there's Josh, there's usually disappointment."

    I shrug my shoulders. "Don't worry about it. You had a good time with Hannah, right?"

    He nods his head as we exist Josh's room. "Yeah, thanks again for doing all of this. I hope my brother didn't completely ruin your date with Sam."

    "Everything's fine."

    "I told you he hasn't changed."

    I sigh. "I think he's trying too, he just has a shitty way of showing it. You should talk to him," I suggest. "I know seeing him get like this, affects you."

    "He wasn't always like this."

    "I believe it, it's just that this is the only version of Josh I've ever known."

    Jordan nods his head, understanding. "Thanks," he repeats, letting me out through the front door.

    By the time we pull into Sam's driveway, it's almost one in the morning. Hannah jets out of the car to go charge her phone so she can confirm her Facebook relationship status with Jordan. She's adorable, why can't I be like that?

    "I have to admit that I was a little jealous over the history that you have with Josh," Sam admits, breaking the inevitable awkward silence. "But after seeing that, I kind of feel bad for him."

    "That obvious that he has a problem?"

    Sam nods, shifting in the drives seat to look at me. "My uh," Sam pauses, "my dad had a drinking problem, well, has, there are good days and bad days."

    I stare at him, wide eyed. I never would've known that Sam's father had a drinking problem. "I'm sorry, I didn't know."

    "I've resented him for a long time because of it, I still blame him for a lot of shit."

    "Things are better though, right?" I question. His parents seem happy, the whole family seems connected, I may have noticed that Sam is slightly closer to his mom. But still, I never would've suspected they dealt with an issue like that.

    He shrugs his shoulders. "Last weekend my parents didn't visit my aunt and uncle—well they did, but they were there for a couples counseling retreat or something. I don't know, my mom tries to pretend that everything is fine, but they argue a lot," he informs me. "I don't really tell people about it, my mom likes to show a good face."

    "You can talk to me about this kind of stuff, I'm pretty experienced in keeping secrets," I joke, lightening the atmosphere.

    "I wanted to tell because you've been over a lot and I'm just waiting for something to happen while you're there. I don't want it to scare you off."