Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Josh maneuvers his bike between all the cars in the large driveway and parks near the front of the house, right by the steps. I begin taking off my helmet while he turns off the bike and uses his foot to put the kick stand down. Josh waits for me to get off first before doing the same.

"So, where exactly do you have to be later?" Josh questions.

"The baseball field, at nine," I answer, giving as little information as possible. It's not really any of his business.

"Okay," he replies, not pushing the subject further. "I'll make sure you're there on time."

I set the helmet on the back of his bike and run my fingers through my hair in attempt to fix any sort of helmet hair I might have going on.

I catch Josh watching me, chuckling.

"What?" I ask, feeling a little self-conscious.

"Earlier when you were holding onto the back of my bike, I think you rubbed your hands in some oil or something," he explains, motioning to my face. "You're not like, going to punch me if I wipe it off, are you?"

I giggle, stepping in front of him. "No."

Josh reaches out, using his thumb to rub off whatever's smeared along my cheekbone. "I know you strongly dislike me, but if it's any consolation, you look really good tonight."

"I know. You don't look so bad yourself," I smile, tugging on his leather jacket. "I'll try and be on my best behavior for the next hour."

"You can be as bad as you want, I'm the one who needs to behave," he winks at me.

I roll my eyes. "This night will go a lot smoother if you quit flirting with me."

"Oh come on, I'm totally harmless right now."

The flirtier he acts around me the more I confused I get. At least when he's a jerk towards me, I know not to get my hopes up, but when he's like this, he's nowhere near harmless.

Josh leads the way into the house that's crowded with very few teenagers and even more adults. I have to give Josh a couple points for knowing me well enough to lead me straight to the tables that are covered with trays of food. I make a plate, filling it with whatever kind of catered food this is. I almost have a heart attack when I see fries; real fries, not fast food fries. Right next to the food is a table of beverages, I notice Josh staring at bottles of hard liquor, but he settles on a bottle of water. At least he's smart enough to not drink since he knows that he'll be driving later.

"What do you want to drink?" Josh asks me.

"Water's fine," I shrug.

Josh grabs another bottle of water and ushers me around people out onto the terrace where it's less crowded. I follow him as he leads me to some kind of flower covered gazebo. Josh is the first to sit on the concreted ground and I do the same.

"I think this whole thing was a ploy to get me alone," I blurt, eating a piece of chicken that was obviously blessed by a priest or rabbi, or some form of god because it's that delicious.

Josh smiles. "No, I just need a minute to cool off."

"I make you that hot, huh?" I joke, shoveling food into my mouth before I make myself look even more stupid.