Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

"Brittany!" somebody yells down the school hallway. My name echoes off the walls as I stop and turn to look behind me to see Hannah Jacobs sprinting towards me.

I flip off anybody who decides to stare at me. "What's up, Hannah?" I ask her when she reaches me.

Hannah breathes deeply, lightly panting from her running. When she finally catches her breath she tosses her arms around me. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she shrieks, causing more people to stare.

"Uh, you're welcome?" I respond, confused. "But, um, what did I do?"

"Jordan said that you and Sam were going to double date with us, I just got it okay-ed by my parents this morning," she beams.

"What?" That's definitely not what I told Jordan on Saturday night. I said I would talk Sam into doing it.

"Jordan talked to me Monday about the whole thing and I had to beg Sam to agree to it and he said he'd only go if you went and since you came up with the whole chaperone idea-"

"Hannah, I'm pretty sure Sam hates me right now, I haven't talked to him since Saturday," I inform her, mentally noting that it's already Wednesday. I've spent the past four days avoiding any type of conversation with him that involves the events of Saturday night. Not that I don't want to because I totally want to jump him every time I'm near him. It's more so that I'm avoiding the talk I need to have with Josh. I don't even know what to say to Josh to make things feel honest with Sam; I just know that there's something with Josh that's holding me back.

"He didn't mention anything about hating you last night," Hannah informs me.

"Really?" I inquire, shocked.

Hannah shakes her head. "So you'll go, won't you?" She pouts, practically looking into my soul with her hazel puppy dog eyes. How am I supposed to say no, she looks so happy and excited?

I exhale, giving in. "When?"

Hannah hugs me again, jumping up and down. "Ohmygosh I love you!"

I laugh. "I'm going to need you to take it down a notch."

As soon as she collects herself, she says, "Well, my parents are going out of town this weekend and they want me to wait until next weekend so that they'll be here to make sure that you and Sam actually go with us."

"So not this weekend coming up, but the next?" I verify.

Hannah nods. "Unless that doesn't work-"

"No, that's perfect," I assure her. It gives me plenty of time to procrastinate my talk with Josh.

"Great! I have to get to class, but you should come over sometime and we'll talk details, okay?"

Hannah bounces off down the hallway before I can reply. See, I just made her day, even if I'm dreading the rest of mine. I should just get it over with and go talk to Josh tonight, but I have a feeling that I probably won't do that. On Saturday, Josh made it seem like he was going to call me, but once again, he's proved his lack of commitment to somebody he apparently wants to be "friends" with. I most likely wouldn't have answered if Josh had called me, but it's still the fact that he didn't even make the effort.

When it's finally time for me to head to biology, I contemplate ditching the class just to avoid the possibility of saying the wrong thing to Sam. The last couple days went smoothly because Mr. Shearin was lecturing the whole period, but today's a lab day. Ugh. Which means that I really can't bail. Damn.