Chapter 2: You Have My Favor

A scoff had to be made at the sight of Peter.

The young man had entered the room, with a different tailcoat than his previous three entries, where Niall Claremont had made a temporary home on the parlor couch. The later, attempting to locate sophistication by news in the town paper. He found an amusing article on the downfall of modern civilization by apples, but not a trace of sophistication. Meanwhile, Peter ruffled his hair, seeming to find no solace in his ostentatious wardrobe.

"Peter, should you change your tailcoat once more, as your friend, I shall have to put to question your manhood."

This could not detain the ruffling. "You don't seem to understand the severity of my predicament."

"I understand enough to assure you that only a woman would show this amount of interest for clothing."

"Precisely my point. Though I may find comfort in my decision, a woman will notice all the technicalities I do not."

Niall flipped the page as Peter retreated to his room once more.

It was roughly a month prior that a letter arrived from the Americas to his English manor. The contents displayed Peter's concern that his southern belle's affections were not so easy to procure. A request was made that required Niall to invoke upon a favor and place himself on a ship 'at his earliest convenience' bound for the Americas. A request that would've been denied were it not for the two pages of Peter's description of nose-pinch-inducing actions already played to gain the girl's sentiments.

This was also accompanied with two additional pages to persuade Niall that overseas offered perfect opportunity to indulge in his 'particular taste of escapades'. The bridge of his nose had continued to be bruised as he stomached through Peter's lack of comprehension towards Niall's reasoning for these 'escapades' and using this flawed logic as tactic of persuasion for this essay.

However, it was clear from the scripted words that Peter was quite serious about this girl of his and Niall was easily persuaded by a cause to assist the feeble. And the lists of his tactics thus far were indeed feeble. Also, when ignoring Peter's supporting evidence's fallacy, a good point was raised in the premise of the argument regarding Niall's 'escapades'. So, for dubious and dependable reasons, he provided an exception, and took to the seas as soon as business had been settled, even though he hadn't the slightest idea what it was he was supposed to do.

"Might I point out that 'a woman' may also notice that the assembly was scheduled for two hours past?"

Niall was pleased to hear feet scampering in the west wing upstairs.

The country home was in good shape for having been generally unoccupied for decades. Granting that it was roughly a decade since separation finalized between Yankees and King's Men, Niall couldn't help but to find peculiarity when his friend expressed a recent interest to reside here, let alone find a lass to court with serious intent.

Niall reminded himself that Peter was one and twenty, being more than capable of settling his own affairs. After all, if any complaint was to be made, the father would have no shame against vocalizing it. No, Niall's job was merely to aid his friend and strain silence to stirring laughter at any fallible behaviors.

Peter stood in the parlor doorway, applying gloves and in his initial outfit. "I suppose my lack of manners will distract from any physical flaws."

"That or your wealth being common knowledge in these parts."

Niall itched the back of his head to remove the burning sensation by a pair of spectacles behind him.

"You will be civil."