Chapter 21: His Truest Nature

"Niall, for the last time, this is not Rounders. Keep the shuttlecock within distance."

"Oh, don't be such a pansy, Talwin. God wouldn't of given you twigs for legs if he didn't intend for you to excel at fetch."

"Yes, and God wouldn't of given you a mouth if he didn't want you to cage your tongue."

"Mmm, I'm going to have to deny that hypothesis in favor that the opening be too large."

Talwin made many attempts to conjure a reply. All of which only managed to display many unique inarticulate-gestures of scorn and frustration. The only success he obtained was to send his racket unceremoniously colliding with the grassy ground. Only to immediately be retrieved by its abuser to be examined for any trace of evidence of said abuse. The overshot-birdie continued to go neglected while Talwin placed priorities in identifying the owner and presenting a personal apology. Those priorities were rearranged by the present game-members' impatience of having their game further-delayed.

"Claremont," Eudora began once the merchant had finally returned to the track for the game-piece, "For the sake of this game's completion--let alone Peter's wits--might you practice a bit more effort in your aim?"

Niall feigned innocence, while struggling to balance the racket on his index finger, "I cannot help that I was not equipped with the same skillset as the rest of you."

Eudora shook her head, but chose to enter a conversation with the other company present while they wait for Talwin's return.

Yes, aside from Niall's aim, the charity picnic was a success. Despite it catering more to feeding the entitled than aiding the...consumption-research fund? War-relief drive? One or the other. Or neither. But, regardless, something had inspired the primped ladies--and relatives up to their distant, second step-aunts--to take leave of their jeweled balls and spend an evening loitering in one of the city's lavish parks.

Fortunately, there were plenty of members of parliament in attendance with the intent of having their presence acknowledged by the public. So, Niall's interest in the vanity—charity picnic need not raise any inquiries. And given that most of his colleagues were more interested in the events and food than further aiding the charity of interest, Niall could stifle any guilt of enjoying a rousing game of Talwin's temper.

And, as if summoned by the thought of his name, he returned from disturbing the bushes. All the while swiping at clinging twigs that dare disturb the flow of his incroyable-esque attire. Presenting the shuttlecock to one of the opposing teams, he returned to Niall's side. Though continued to pluck any greenery in sight.

"Phoebe, dearest. This conversation can't be the least bit interesting for you."

Phoebe whipped her head back to her Nana, intending to correct her conjecture, but instead came to realize she had not the faintest idea what the mature women were conversing over. The small group were situated at a table in one of the park's pavilions, enjoying finger sandwiches and tea from a safe distance from the chaos of the game of jeu de volant.

Nana continued, "Why don't you run along and join them?"

The granddaughter shook her head. "I'm quite content with my tea. Unless you have matters you wish to discuss in my absence, then I can leave."

The grandmother smiled gently beside her. "I need discuss nothing in your absence. But, simply wish to assure you that you are at liberty to leave if we disinterest you."