Chapter 8: He Soon Became Haunted

It was, regretfully, Niall's responsibility to admit that not once, in the past month, had he successfully retrieved in-progress paperwork from storage. In Niall's defense, he was merely responding to nature's will of him. 

The first week was partially his fault. An underestimate of the lull of a shifting vessel, despite minimalist waves, convinced him to limit his time away from slumber. What fault he may claim, reason abolished after considering the bed of his childhood home had been confiscated by two conniving ladies. In his humble opinion, it was generous of him to ask for a mere week's worth of recovery compared to the adequate amount he felt entitled to. 

As for the following week, the lull of the sea intensified by nature's fury. Therefore, the excess sleep, in this event, clearly excluded him from fault. 

Where ownership of blame could be argued was within the following two weeks.  

It started when he first emerged from the deck. The time had to be approximately some period past when it was no longer night time. Niall intended to seek a particular crew member about the location of his cargo and its eventual retrieval. 

"Ah, Mr. Claremont," A voice,within proximal distance, called after Niall had succeeded in scaling the steps from the quarters below. 

Niall appeared to have interrupted the First Lieutenant's leisurely stroll about the deck. Well, perhaps not 'leisurely', considering he was accompanied by Peter. 

Being the gentleman that Niall was, he bowed for the crewman and Nancy boy. The First Lieutenant returned the gesture that was clearly rhythmic for him. Meanwhile, Peter strained himself with finding the generosity to present a nod of his head. Niall supposed he would too if his own was as swollen. 

"How are your accommodations?" The crewman spoke after excess examination of the other two men. 

Niall broke from his resolve to hold his tongue and answered, "As pleasant as the first trip, thank you for inquiring." 

The Lieutenant gave a momentary glance at Peter before replying, "If you don't mind my askin', what persuaded you to return so soon?" 

Generally, Niall would've been more than eager to inform that the crewman had overstepped his boundary, while restraining a harsh lecture in consideration of the sea-bound title. But, on this occasion, he preferred, "Oh, a minor precaution. I'd simply overheard that bad air was corrupting wheat crops. I felt my possible investment futile in a crop that was behaving intolerant." 

"Really? I was considering investing stock in that market. What did you base your calculations upon?" 

"What Mister Claremont means," Peter withdrew from purposely positioning himself to flamboyantly declare his desire to disregard Niall's presence, "Is that wheat should be grafted to his will--even if he desires to humiliate a madam that the wheat fancies--and find validity in his pretense." 

"...Oh." The Lieutenant turned his glance to Niall. 

On reflex, the baron pinched his nose. Peter would be selfish enough to involve an outsider in their strife. Niall considered apologizing on his (and it strained him to still admit this) friend's behalf, but gratefully acknowledged that doing so would furnish the tension. Relieving his nose of pressure, he addressed the Lieutenant, "Actually, I had surfaced to seek the gentleman in charge of my luggage." 

The crewman entertained the change of topic. "Yes, I know the man. Any inquiries I may settle on his behalf?" 

Niall waved the notion away. "No need. I merely wish to retrieve some artifacts."