Chapter 12: Ignorant To The Taints

"Nicholas Claremont, you better not be in there doing what I think you're doing," Niall said to the once giggling closet. 

Currently, it was the scuffling-and-occasional-slur-dropping closet where he'll never store his coats again. 

After delivering the Baroness' delirious kin, Niall had a joyous sleepless trip. With more bruises than he could count, he practically leapt from the carriage upon arrival of his country estate. However, having arrived without sending a letter in advance, his ears caught his eldest sibling (second only to Niall himself) in an act whose occurrence was more numerous than Niall's bruise tally. An act that Niall would rather gouge his eyes out before admitting its entirety. 

Niall held the door open for the maid to scurry off before glowering toward the dead man walking. 

"Thought you were in the Americas." 

"Nicholas, my patience is thinning with you." 

"Bring back any red carcasses?" 

"I'm not paying another one off." 

"You really want to discuss this?" The fifteen-year-old jolted the door from Niall and closed it behind him. "I didn't say anything about your reason for leaving. Poor Retty's been Marco-Polo-ing for you." 

"I left for the service of a friend." 

Nicholas scoffed. "And I'm supposed to believe you didn't take advantage of your time away?" 

Niall stepped aside to allow Nicholas to pass. "You didn't do any of this while she was around, did you?" 

"She was out of ear shot." 

"I swear to God--." 

"No, Niall. She's my sister too." 

Niall exhaled, quite convinced he would otherwise implode. 

"Sir," Niall's steward, who had happened upon the brothers in mid-conversation, had waited at the end of the hall for them to pass, "I had your carry-ons placed in your office." 

"Thank you," Niall nodded respectfully, "Though I generally would've expected such an update if they were lost instead." 

"Very true, sir. But there's another matter I thought you may wish to address before completely settling." 

"I've only just arrived; I'll seek your advice tomorrow." 

"Sir, I would not be giving it if I thought you should wish to wait on this matter." 

Niall had been eyeing him cautiously over his words, his mind a menagerie of possibilities for the claim. Then he glanced at Nicholas whose curiosity only rose for events that were more gossip than educational. 

"Stop distracting the maids and not a word on this subject," Niall shooed the cat. 

Then Niall escorted his steward to his office. 

Although not as cluttered as his carriage, the chests remained an unpleasant sight in their new residency. They served as a mild distraction before Niall's eyes caught on what he assumed to be the cause of alarm. His desk was adorned in an unorderly pile of letters. 

"Rest assured, I can increase your wages on the project and find a temporary aid." 

"Thank you, sir. But this is the matter you may prefer to address." 

His steward extracted a letter from amongst the pile and presented it to Niall. Breaking the seal, The Baron didn't get far in the parchment before finding the first of many lines that he detested. His inner palms began to itch and, with one hand occupied, he used his chin to compensate.