Chapter 20: Conducting Her First Lesson

"Oh, Phoebe. I do hope we may see you at the picnic Saturday. These events have been so drool without your American point of view."

Phoebe doubted that, considering that the American girl spent more time as a silent witness than a conversational participant. Unless that was a kind way of implying that, behind closed doors, Phoebe's lack of English-conformity was a common subject of humor. Or, perhaps she was inheriting Homer's bad habits. Regardless, Phoebe managed to provide a little more than an awkward smile of appreciation behind the porcelain cup.

Initially, Phoebe had every intention to utilize her excuse of 'illness-recovery' to deny today's invitation. Granted, Lady Allington seemed to express questionably-extensive kindness to her, and Phoebe had no serious qualms with her. But, there laid the true cause for her reluctance. Eudora was one of the few who engaged in regular conversation with Phoebe and the later would be forlorn over the loss of such engagement. Which was a possibility placed at high risk by Phoebe's incapability to carry a conversation. Especially when there be only two participants. Especially for an entire evening.

Elinor being a treasured exception.

But, Phoebe's reluctance was abated enough to earn her a seat across from Eudora with a supplied tea set on the table separating them. Upon the hostess's suggestion, the two were enjoying the—slightly overcast, but--fortunately rainless day out on the patio to the back-venue of the Allington's townhouse. Phoebe mused over a manicured lawn, the spring flowers on their array of Nellie Steven Hollies, and the subject of her over-turned reluctance passing from behind the mullion-glassed doors.

She was an absolutely horrid-excuse for a friend.

"Ugh, to think that cad is possibly using the notaries I write my letters with." The sound of Eudora's voice jolted Phoebe's eyes back to her tea.

Yes, Eudora might have casually mentioned—in her morning notary-invitation--that Niall Claremont would be invading her home for the entire afternoon. And that the infamous cad had claimed her sole chaperone that was required to attend any public entertainment. And that Eudora would be forced to endure Niall's horridly bleak-excuse for humor and could not possibly survive if she could not find someone willing to humble themselves to share her endurance.

"That beast better be using a handkerchief to keep his hands clean. I just received a new set and might be unable to keep my own clean should I find any prints upon them."

The image of Niall marked by charcoal came to mind. The giggle was slight, but it stole Eudora's attention from glaring at the doors.

"You fail to comprehend, Phoebe. These were a gift. What sort of gratitude would I show should I allow them to be abused before I've had the chance to send the gifter an example of my utilization?"

Phoebe swallowed the last of her tea and found her cheeks to be slightly warm against the natural breeze. Shifting in her seat to prevent further distraction, Phoebe relinquished the cup to its saucer and placed her hands in her lap. "My apologies. I—uh...didn't quite mean--was not aware of the extent of its merit."

Eudora nodded, but still resorted to providing oxygen and a pout into her cup of tea.

And the two sat amongst Phoebe's ancient-but-reliable arch-nemesis: silence.

Niall gave his eyes a moment of reprieve from the blurring words on the parchment to appreciate the view available to him via the mullion-glassed window. Although the office was not quite a superior position to the foyer before the patio, it did grant him the opportunity of viewing said patio without concern of anyone witnessing. Even if it did require him to lean into one corner of the window to merely view her constrained white-blond hair displaying the downward arch of her lower neck. The definitive ridges of her spine—that was visible despite the distance--quickly forgotten as the collar of her chemisette danced to the pace of her breathing.