Chapter 16: Their Identity Means Naught

Parliament had lost their heads. 

New business regulations were proposed, and Niall was required to represent the farmers under his estate. The debate taxed him enough, but receiving a visit from Peter, in the event that he may boast of his successful chat with Miss Barrettmore on Sunday morn, made the hellish mess-of-a-debate all the more unbearable. And, unfortunately, Niall could not avoid his required participation to deal with Peter's selfish wiles, for Niall would be encumbered with a horde of misrepresented farmers. Which would call Niall away and allow Peter an undeterminable period of time to continue his malicious intentions. 

So, Niall endured patience, and continued to do so when parliament chose to address other topics first.  Especially when a suggestion that parliament should devote more time solely on the present topic of interest. And, of course the suggestions received majority favor, for they all seemed to have forgotten that they received new rites and propositions proposed on a daily basis. 

Niall acknowledged the matter would require weeks before completion, let alone be addressed in general. So, he made work to arrange his time so that he may spend his afternoons, that had previously been employed in healing his throbbing head, at events commonly occupied by debutantes. 

However, since it had been years that he had attended any, he was left unknowledgeable of the when's, who's, and where's of them. In fact, if Peter hadn't made it a point to turn every conversation into a self-pity tangent of his nerves for Miss Barrettmore's welcome party, Niall never would've known the date. So, when Sarah had brought up an event she intended to attend, Niall took the opportunity to offer as an escort. 

"This a rare treat, indeed!" A girl of their current party added to the growing lists of ways they had been informed that they neglected to present themselves together publicly. 

Sarah tightened her grip on the insides of Niall's arm. "Well, we can't have you all growing too accustom to our being with one another. We'd hate to induce boredom." 

The girl grinned. "Don't be silly! The two of you provide some lively banter." 

Sarah returned the grin. "Do we now? Oh dear, now you've made me fear we may never live to your expectations!" 

The girl gasped. "No, you go beyond my expectations! In fact, many of your witticisms have been repeated again to liven many a conversation." 

Sarah gasped in return, and placed a gloved hand to her mouth. "They have!? Oh, you do us a great honor! To think my name has graced your lips!" 

Niall placed a hand on the one Sarah still had on his arm. Should they raise their key once more, he would have to endure the night with a throbbing head. 

Sarah placed her hand over his and turned to smile at him. "She does us a great honor, you know." 

Niall extended his closed lips and nodded. 

Not knowing why he suspected Sarah of considering his suggestion, he endeavored to distract himself from their chatter by sneaking a gander toward the American lady. 

Presently, Miss Barrettmore occupied a group of guests a reasonable distance away. They were a collage of both women and men. With Peter being unable to attend, Niall hoped this may be an opportunity for her to converse with less risible gentlemen. And, from previous glances, she had spent the night doing so. However, no single gentleman received the majority of her attention and her attention was equally shared amongst both sexes. Thus, increasing Niall's fear she may be neglecting to consider other options. 

Then, he noticed her curtsy and turn to leave from the group. And, for the seventh time that night, she took to the outside air to disappear for a spell.