Chapter 14: Find Herself Needing Replacement

Her dancing had improved some. 

She certainly wasn't as horrid as spectators chose to exaggerate. But, in all fairness, he had seen her at her worst. 

It took the beginning of the night, and many discrete glances, to finally put a finger upon a reasoning for her differing since last they spoke. Upon initially meeting, her hair drew concerns of the mange, her clothing of dark prints, and her back hook-like. But the London winter had aligned her back, starched her dresses to satin, and de-textured her hair. 

She was groomed by definition. 

And it was clear that an attempt to correct her dancing had been made, for she was familiar with how to perform the steps. Her knowledge of their proper order, in accordance to the dance, was where she  stumbled. 

Now, these alterations may have been favorable under any other circumstance. But given the elder Talwin's slip that the grandmother had promised to 'handle' the situation, Niall doubted they had been made in interest for the lady's well-being. And Niall's stomach writhed at the prospect of the act being made to divert Peter's reluctance to unite under her previous risible nature. 

"If her manors and dancing are as horrid as you've described, I'm certain a question of figures won't be enough to diversify the alternatives." 

Niall's lips quivered at his epiphany. 

And his epiphany had him standing opposite to an impassive Miss Barrettmore. Granted, she spoke very little before, but at least she looked and sounded lively in her fidgeting and giggles. Such an absence only increased the prolonged silence of the room and exposed dancers. This new persona had him itching his palms and grateful to hear the triplet intro of 'Invisible Girl'. 

To present her with minimal beginning steps, and for not being of the highest class present, he had placed them as the second dancers to the quartet. And in order to avoid insulting her and increasing further gossips at her expense. Though, her stoic nature did encourage his concern for the success of his epiphany. But the minute he saw her momentary scrunch of her skirt, as the first party was returning from their lead down the middle, his faith was restored. 

Subtly lifting a hand to his chin, he intended to provide her with assistance. Except that her attention seemed fixed more on the couple than her dance partner. He expelled a silent cough in the attempt to catch solely her attention. She looked up just in time to see his hint and moved to her right to change positions with the dancers. 

As the other couple occupied themselves in the allemande, Niall attempted to make discrete conversation, "Do you recall what steps they've completed?" 

Her eyes were inviting him to continue. Almost as wide as Retty's. 

Niall chuckled. "We will be setting the woman to your left first and then circle with her." 

"Twice?" 

"Once." 

"Alright." 

She completed the task handsomely without scathing his digits. As they completed the circle, he quickly added, once the other woman had returned to her spot and out of listening distance, "Now, we shall do the same with the gentleman to my right. Which is your left." 

And the dance had continued in that manor for the most part. Eventually, she recalled the steps from the help of the muses upon enough repetitions. Then the dance concluded and he offered his arm to her. 

His arm remained un-received and under examination. 

"I believe it's customary to see you're settled with your next party."