PART III: Chapter 15

CHAPTER 15 – D/E/N/I/A/L

A/N: Attached here is the post that inspired me to write this story almost two years ago! The scene is featured quite soon :)

Days passed. Days turned into weeks, and the skies finally brightened. The grayscales of winter brightened into fluorescent colors. My hair was getting longer and the black fit in no more; I decided to get it colored bright red this time.

It was a Saturday, the first one in April, and when my hair dried I finally opened the door to my room to interact with the world.

"Whoa," was Mikey's reaction. "That's... a new look."

"That's what I was going for," I nodded at him.

I stayed inside my house the rest of the weekend, not doing much despite my mother's urges to go outside on "such a lovely day" and "the last few days of spring break to spend with my family," though I lived with them, and I spent every day with them whether I liked it or not.

"The indoors are so much better," I whined as the sun was setting on Sunday.

"Even Mikey is joining us outside to watch the sun set!" she exclaimed, like that alone would convince me to move.

"I'm okay here," I told her, and after a few more stubborn refusals, she gave up and let me be, reminding me I was still welcome if I changed my mind later.

I was settled in my room with my laptop, ready to milk the last few hours of my weekend by doing what weekends are made for: nothing. I logged onto various social media sites and scrolled through everyone's pictures of their friends until I was bored, and instead decided to stalk Frank.

There was nothing new on any of his pages, but of course he was rarely online anyway. I shot him a text, for some casual conversation. What I loved about texting was that, if it didn't go well, I had the freedom to get out of it at any moment that I pleased.

From Gerard Way: How was your break?

I watched the three dots emerge from the bottom of the screen and waited for his reply to come through.

From Frank Iero: Could have been worse, could have been better. Yours?

From Gerard Way: About the same. Did you do anything?

I watched the three dots appear, then disappear, then reappear a few times before his answer came through.

Nah

A little bored by the conversation (and slightly disappointed it hadn't gone anywhere), but still having an unusual urge to be social, I searched for Ray's spring break pictures.

I pulled up his Facebook page, where a blurry photo of himself and Christa graced the top of his profile. They'd been together for a few months now, and to be completely honest, it was surprising.

How are you and Christa doing?

He replied almost immediately. why do you ask

Just making conversation.

to be totally honest with you I don't think she likes me

You're dating...?

she's a popular girl. im not a popular guy. she wanted a date to sweethearts. i was the first one to come along and ask

You don't know that.

just making conversation

Wouldn't she have just dumped you after the dance if that were the case?