Chapter 1

"Are you ready?" I look up at my mom who has supported me through this whole journey.

It was my first gig. It was only a small one at a night club but it's the biggest thing I have done since high school choir.

I nod. She gives me a reassuring smile. She kisses the top of my head.

"You're going to kill it." She whispers in my ear. I smirk. I was so nervous that I could feel the nausea start to kick in.

"Ava, you're up." I look over at a man with a clipboard. I look in the mirror one last time.

"You got this." I say to myself. I stand up from my chair and begin to walk to the stage. The man with the clipboard hands me a mic.

"Good luck." He says. I nod and walk out on stage.

I look around the audience. I see my family at the closest table and I see some guys in suits at another. I see a pack of early 20 year olds sitting at another. Most everyone was drinking and waiting for me.

The music begins to play. I close my eyes for a moment and I felt like passing out. But it comes out of me, naturally. I open my eyes and look around the room as I belt out Ride by Lana Del Rey. They all were interested in my performance. I wasn't sure if they were enjoying it or looking at me with disgust.

Once the song was over, I take a step back and look around the room. My heart was racing and I really felt like upchucking. I begin to hear clapping and I look to see one of the men in suits stand up. I smile. My whole family jumps up and screams my name. I want to cry. This was amazing. I bow and walk off the stage. I hand the mic back to clipboard guy.

"You have an amazing voice." He tells me. This made me smile even wider.

"Thank you so much." I say with a little bit too much excitement.

I see my mom standing there with a wide grin. I scream and run into her arms. She squeezes me, tight.

"I told you you were going to kill it." She says through my shoulder. I chuckle in her shoulder. We let go and I'm still smiling.

I sit down in my studio chair and look in the mirror. It felt like I had just won the world.

I could see a young man, in the mirror, coming towards me. He was from the table with the guys in suits. My heart was racing. This could be it. This could me my big break.

"You're Ava, right?" He asks. I turn to him and he flashes me a smile. I smirk.

"That would be me. Could I help you?" I ask.

"I love your voice and my friends and I were wondering if you could come sing at the country club. My father owns it." He asks. I look at my mom and she gives me a thumbs up.

"Sure, I would love to." I say.

"Great! Can you start next week?" He asks. I frown.

"I'm actually singing here all next week and then I have to pack because I'm taking a trip to New York." I explain.

"Well, I would love for you to sing there so if you ever have some down time, here is my number." He takes a piece of paper he found and writes his number down. "I'm almost sure very important people would take interest in you." He winks. I blush. I take his number and read it to myself. His name was Dakota.

"Do you think I will have time to sing there?" I ask my mom. She nods.

"I'm almost sure. We are just looking at school in New York and if this singing career works out then there is no point in going to school." She says. "I see you making it big hun. This is just the beginning for you."