Chapter Nine

(Jonhathan)

"I have a few questions I'd like to ask you." he cuts straight to what he's here for as soon as I take a seat at the kitchen table.

"Okay." I reply hesitant of the next few minutes I'll be going through. I choose not to look up and acknowledge him more than I already did once to meet his eyes when I walked down the stairs. That's enough eye contact I think, enough acknowledgement of him then I'd like to give him. I don't want him to try to look into my supposed lost soul as he tries to pry into my life. Asking questions like they always do and I doubt he's any different. He doesn't look the part of someone willing to hear my side or Jared's but what he wants to hear sitting there in a nice suit.

I actually wanted to tell him, 'I don't care what you have to say. I don't want to answer your questions because what I want is to go out into the backyard and take Jayden from the person I used to call mom. I want to walk out this front door and have this all stop. I want to return to my normal life you can't seem to understand.' but I can't say that. I can't  ignore them. I can't tell them to fuck off and leave me alone at the risk I know I would be taking. I'm not willing to chance them taking Jayden from me because they think I'm unstable. Take them both; Jayden and the baby I'm carrying right now as a punishment for not willing to work with them. I won't. I can't lose them when they are all I have of Jared.

"Jonhathan?" I look up for a brief second with my name called. Almost sounding like a question or an attempt to get my attention. "Did you hear what I said?" he questions giving me that same look everyone else has been giving me.

I don't want to be felt sorry for. I don't want to be questioned constantly. I want it to end but it doesn't seem like it ever is. "You wanted to ask me a few questions." I reply looking back down, fidgeting with my hands on my lap.

"Did you know it is perfectly normal to protect the person whom hurt you?" he says beginning with the same tactics the people before to speak to me already used and he's not any different and neither are his words.

"Yeah." I force myself to agree though I disagree. I don't see myself as a victim. I don't see Jared as a predator. I don't see what they see looking into my life, our life.

"You were with him since you were fifteen and it's completely understandable. You were young and you still are willing to trust someone you think is a good person." he continues.

"How do you know what I'm willing to do when you've barely met?" I retort.

"You're right but reading from your earlier statements I can assume you wanted to leave home. You wanted him to take you away from here but you have to understand Jonhathan he isn't a good person. He's older than you are and he took advantage of you."

"What did you want to know?" I say tired of being told what they assume and want to believe. I just want this over and done with.

"You were with him for several years, what did he tell you? What did he talk to you about over the years?" he asks invading my privacy. That's between Jared and I what does it matter to them?  Why can't they realize he wasn't a bad person they want to believe he is?

"Every day things." I reply not real vague.

"I understand but did he talk to you about...other people?" Other people? What is he talking about?

"His sister? I already told the last person I don't know where she is. I don't know where she would go. She isn't a part of this anyway." I tell him trying my best to avoid Kateylnn to appear as someone they need to look for. I want her to find me and we can get Jared where they have him behind bars. We can go back to our life.