Chapter 9 - Monsters, Outside And In

Chapter Nine – Monsters, Outside And In

21st Dec 1:22 PM

“Where?” Cassius and I asked at the same time as the Argos pitched violently to the side; something screamed by outside the plane to our right. The twins started frantically pressing buttons around them.  

“Above us” Elena replied, “There’s only one ship but it’s big and cloaked, definitely one of the four. We’re not going to get away; if we try to run we die, I’ve seen it. No matter what we do we get blown out of the sky.”

“Did you try this?” I asked, walking out of the cockpit.

“Try what?” Elena asked as I took my place in the centre of the back portion of the plane.

I smiled, “this.”

Using my ability to push down on the button that opened the ramp I dropped straight down; falling only a few metres before catching myself.

The wind roared around me as I flew underneath the Argos, the ramp closed behind me as I accelerated towards the front to see the captain. I turned myself around to face her when I reached the front of the plane; squinting in the afternoon sun.

‘What the hell are you doing?’ demanded Serena’s voice in my head, ‘you’re going to get yourself killed out there!’      

‘According to Elena we’re all dead if we try to run, so we shouldn’t do what they expect’ I replied, ‘Tell the other ships to stop; hover in the area. That should buy you minute or two while I go up and clip their wings.’   

‘They’re cloaked’ she thought to me, ‘you won’t be able to see them! Even if you could it would be too dangerous.’

‘I’ll think of something’ I told her, ‘this is a risk I’m willing to take. Just trust me and be ready to go when I give you the all clear.’

The sky tilted as I spiralled upward at phenomenal speed; behind me I heard the engines of the four invisible planes slowing. Good, now it was time for my job. I looked up toward the space where the ship apparently was, all I saw was open space. Wait, there was something.

The light refracted around a large area, it was like looking through a big magnifying glass; everything was a little distorted. Clearly their cloaking wasn’t as advanced as the Archaeans’.  

I let my eyelids grow heavy as I rocketed ever skyward toward the Niphal; focusing on trying to replicate what I had done back at Groom Lake. I shivered as I sent out a throng of weak energy waves in every direction; I kept my eyes closed as I waited.

A half second passed before they came back, when they did I received a patchy colourless image of the world around me; the mass looming high above me flickered roughly through my head. Jesus it was big, at least seven football fields long, two high and three across.

Taking a deep breath I redoubled my speed, sending out a constant stream of the waves as I drew nearer. The mental images returned with clarity, showing a clear picture of everything within a mile. It felt awesome; I was aware of everything, every speck of dust was detected by the waves I sent out.

I dodged to the side as a projectile from the Niphal ship rocketed towards me, my eyes still closed. My eyebrows knitted into a V as I sent a blast of energy back at the ship above me; as it made contact a section of the colossal hull disintegrated. In truth the damage I did was actually quite impressive; a gash twenty feel long had been ripped into the side of the aircraft. In contrast to the size of the ship however the attack was insignificant, like a mosquito attacking an elephant.