Chapter 14 - An Exceptional Cage

Chapter Fourteen – An Exceptional Cage

1st Jan 8:22 AM

“The Universal Declaration of human rights states that all men are born equal; it prohibits the act of torture on those it applies to and grants certain privileges to those said members.” A distorted male voice said from out of my vision, “Fortunately you are not human, and as such these conditions do not apply to you. Here you have no rights; you do not possess the privilege of freedom. Welcome to the Rock.”

I pulled weakly at the shackles that bound me to the wall tightly; I must have been heavily drugged before being brought here. My mind wandered hazily from one thought to the next, completely unable to focus. I did however know that I was in deep shit. My armour had been removed, I wore only my under suit.

“I wouldn’t bother struggling if I were you” the voice continued, a figure in a grey suit stepped out of the gloom of my holding cell flanked by four soldiers with full gear “Even as Archaean can’t break those chains, and your little energy tricks won’t be of any use either. We kept you sedated while we prepared this cell just for you. The metal absorbs energy.”

“What do you want with me?” I muttered, trying to shake off the sedative.

The man laughed, “Information, you’re actually the first we’ve been able to take alive.”

“Well whoopty fuckin doo” I replied, looking up at him “want a medal?” 

“Why were you living among humans?” he demanded, ignoring me.

“Who are you?” I asked, “I’ll ask the questions here if you don’t mind.”

Without a word one of the soldiers stepped forward, clocking me around the side of the head with his gun.

“A defiant one aren’t you?” he said smugly as I saw stars, “I am the director of the B.N.R.D.” 

“Ah yes” I laughed, despite my situation “Colonel Jacob Ashcroft. I was wondering if you survived Groom Lake.”

He was unsettled by my knowledge; he hesitated before continuing “How do you know my name?”

“Oh I know more names than yours Colonel. Benjamin Day, Joshua Gray, Adam Stave, Lydia Roth, Joseph Reilly, Matthew Kennedy, Emily Bellows, Christopher Patterson, James Robinson, Christopher Killian, Sampson White and Victoria Woodman. I know so much more than just your name.”

Ashcroft took a step back into the shadows, “Where are the Archaeans based?”

“And what makes you think I’d tell you anything like that?”

His eyes narrowed “We can be very persuasive David, do not test us.”

“Where are my weapons and armour?” I asked, losing patients.

“They are of no concern to you now, where are the Archaeans?”

“You’re on my list you know.”

“Stay focused David, where are they?”   

“So is the entire board; Salazar, Caesar and Kahn too. There’s a couple of Automaton operators as well, and Eric Tanner. As soon as I’ve dealt with the Archons I’m coming after all of you.”

“The Archons?” Ashcroft cut in, “Who are they?”             

“Sanctimonious bastards with a gun pointed at the head of the world. They’re the leaders of the Archaeans and they’re not very nice.”