Chapter 11 - The Perfect Teacher

Chapter Eleven – The Perfect Teacher

25th Dec 1:33 PM

‘New armour?’ Serena’s voice asked.

‘Yeah’ I replied, ‘the old set would have been too conspicuous when I leave.’

She didn’t reply, though I picked up from her mind that she was saddened.

“Good news” the captain called as she jogged out with the twins to join her team, “The Archons contacted us on the way back; they’ve chosen a teacher for you.”

“Really?” I asked, “Who?”

Cassius grinned, pushing the shortest member of her team forward. “Serena” she said proudly, “She’s going to be given the memory of when the Kinetic made the energy, and she can then show it to you so you know exactly what to do. Genius eh?”

I nodded seeing the sense “Yeah, it’ll be the closest I’ll ever come to being taught by a Kinetic I guess.”

“We’re going to go and get her the memory now” Cassius said, walking towards the elevator with the team in tow, “Nice armour by the way.”

“Thanks” I replied, falling in. It looks like all it took was a little time for the Argonauts to accept me again.

“How did the assignment go?” I asked as I stepped once again back into the elevator.

“Not bad” Nathaniel replied, “Just recovering some things from an old Archaean city, they’re in the Argos now. Hephaestus is going to collect them later.”

“I thought all of the other cities fell?” I asked as the elevator rose.

“They did” Elena told me, “They’re all just crumbling ruins nowadays. Still quite beautiful though; you’ll have to check them out someday after all this is over. The Niphal know where they are so it’s not safe to stay in them. A small scouting party ran into us on the way back actually, we took care of it and left before a larger force arrived though.”

“Where did you go?” I asked, curious as to the location of other, albeit dead, cities.

“A city in Europe you may have heard of” one of the twins replied, “Olympus.”

“May have heard of?” I asked, “You’re talking about mount Olympus right? Home of the gods and all that?”

“It is built inside a mountain yes” Cassius replied, “and what do you mean gods?”

“It’s a human legend” I told her, “Mount Olympus was supposed to be the home of the Greek gods.”

“Huh” the Argonauts muttered almost as one, except for Serena, though I could hear a similar vibe in my mind.

“You guys didn’t know about that?” I asked, “I thought you knew everything about the humans.”

“The majority of the Archaean’s knowledge of humans if factual, not theological.” Nathaniel replied simply, “You’d be surprised how many legends have their roots in fact though, have you heard of someone called Moses?”

“The guy that parted the Red Sea and received the Ten Commandments?”

Nathaniel nodded, “the very same, he was a telekinetic back in the darkest days of the Niphal attacks, he and his team took pity on the humans in the area. Taking who he could he led them away, even clearing a path through the sea to escape the army pursuing them.”

“Well I’ll be damned” I muttered, there was some truth to old stories after all.

The doors slid open as once again we started walking down the dark corridor to the Archon’s antechamber. Serena’s breathing was fast and shallow; she walked slower as she drew closer to the door.