11. Family Affairs

Donald Royce was every bit the idiot Kyle had suspected him to be.

It had taken Kyle precisely three minutes to find a freshman willing to tail him and his idiot friends for a couple of days. Kyle wanted to get to know the guy a little before he broke his legs.

The data was confusing and frustrating at the same time. As he had suspected, dear Ole Donnie was trying to become the next big thing in their school, sucking up to the popular people, trying to join what he considered the it crowd, pulling crazy stunts for attention. Hell, he and Kay barely saw each other in school and he never even mention her in conversation with other people.

It was him. Him, him, him.

Maybe it was stupid, maybe Kyle shouldn't care about lame Donnie and the way he treated his girlfriend, but the anger and pain on Kay's face seemed tattooed behind his eyelids. And since she wouldn't do anything about it, he would. Hopefully something that would include Donnie swallowing his teeth.

It's none of your damn business. Even if Donnie was an abusive asshole, he was Kay's problem. And if she didn't want to dump him, maybe she had her reasons. She's a victim, of course she's not leaving him. She probably doesn't even realize he's abusive.

He didn't even know her that well. Their initial conversations were nothing but teasing and his first impression of her hadn't been all that great. But somehow, he felt like he couldn't just ignore it, keep out if it. Because he'd meant it when he said Kay deserved better. She was a sweet, smart, beautiful girl. And he'd also been honest when he'd said they were friends too.

And there was no way he was letting one of his friends be abused. But violence was never the answer. He knew that better than anyone. Maybe a simple chat with the boyfriend would do the trick. Ah, fuck it, he still felt like breaking Donnie's legs.

Kyle stared at the map of the solar system, absently counting the planets as he contemplated possible ways of making Donnie act like a human being without breaking any bones, when his laptop sprung to life.

He rolled out of bed to answer his incoming Skype call from Sam. Good. He definitely  needed a distraction and he'd missed the kid.

"Hallelujah to the heavens, he finally answers," Sam said the moment his face appeared on the screen.

"Missed you too, kid," Kyle said with a grin, sitting at his desk.

Sam smiled, his green eyes twinkling with excitement. His jet black hair was a little longer and messier than Kyle remembered, and he looked older somehow. He was only sixteen. His eyes should be full of playfulness, not grown up worry.

"I did miss you. And I'm so glad you answered." Sam heaved a sigh. "I need someone to vent."

Kyle frowned. "Why, what happened?"

"Dad's driving me crazy. His latest brilliant idea? Oh, Sam, why don't you apply for an internship at the agency for the summer? I'll put in a good word for you with management." Sam rolled his eyes, but despite his brave face, Kyle could tell he was on the verge of tears.

"Wait, isn't the agency Dad's?" Their dad owned a PI agency, but since Kyle didn't pay much attention to news from home, things might have changed. Their dad could've sold his business. Not that Kyle cared.