46. New Rules

Kyle dialed Kay's number for what felt like the millionth time as he made his way through the airport, towards the gate. It went straight to voice mail again and he decided to actually leave a message this time.

"Hey, it's me." Very unfitting, but there was no way he could put all he was feeling into words. "Just wanted to let you know I landed. I'll try to call again after I figure out just what the hell is going on."

Because Max hadn't told him anything, except that his mom was bad and he had to get home right away and see her. He didn't know if she was sick, if she'd been in an accident or what. Max wouldn't say. He just turned a light shade of green, told him it made no difference and begged him to keep quiet. And like a good boy, he'd listened.

"I..." He had no idea what else to say. The entire situation was fucked up and the lack of sleep was making him a little hazy. "I miss you already. Hope I'll be back soon." And he hang up, focusing on not getting lost.

He wondered why Kay wasn't answering. Maybe she ran out of battery, or shut her phone off to get some sleep. It was nine a.m. and she'd missed an entire night's sleep. He should be tired too, but he wasn't. His body hummed with energy from the past twenty four hours. Kay, performing, the prom, it had all filled him with exuberance. Just his mind was a tiny bit confused because he'd jumped from extasy to worry. Whatever had happened, he hoped he could go back soon.

He exited the baggage claim area and froze. He felt like rubbing his eyes comically to make sure he was seeing straight. Because right there, at the front of the crowd, was his family. All of them. His smiling, tearful mother, his father and Sam and Jerry.

What the fuck? He just stood frozen like a moron while they waved at him. His mother looked fine. Fantastic. Happy.

"Well, don't just stand there," Freider called, waving him over. "Come and give your old man a hug."

Kyle moved mechanically towards them, and let his father and brothers hug him. His mind failed to process what was going on. Finally, he found himself facing his mother and he squeezed her shoulders.

"Mom, are you okay?"

She nodded, though tears fell down her cheeks. "Now that you're finally home, I am."

His brain started screeching like the brakes of a train as they led him out of the airport, into a silver Mercedes and he found himself on his way to their house, squeezed between the door and Sam. Sam... He'd never seen Sam in person in his life. Never touched him. Or Jerry. But he couldn't look at them, couldn't take them in when he still had no idea why he was there, what the fuck was going on, why he'd gotten in the car with them in the first place instead of back on a plane.

They sailed through downtown, into the suburbs, and stopped in front of a large two story house with a perfect lawn. As he got out of the car and stared at it, he had an awfully bad feeling about everything.

"You're awfully quiet," Sam said, stopping next to him and looking at the house, too.

Kyle looked down at him. Sam wasn't much shorter than he was, maybe three or four inches. He'd grown up so nicely, but his posture was strangely mature.

"I'm just really, really confused," he finally answered.

Sam nodded. "I know it must be a lot to take in. I can't even pretend to understand what you've been through. But you're home now and that's what matters."

Why was this about him? He wasn't there to stay. He opened his mouth to point that out, but Freider called them inside and Sam obeyed immediately. Kyle followed him through a small hallway and into a large living room.