21. Kathy's Dead. Long Live Kay

After her horribly embarrassing morning, Kathy didn't expect to have so much fun attempting  to produce some food using the old fashion grill on the patio.

She and Kelly laughed at the boys who spent more time poking each other with various grilling instruments than actually turning the steak over, then they all sat down for a decent lunch of leftovers and over-cooked meat.

Later that afternoon, they headed for the lake again for another swim. It turned out Kelly did have an extra swimsuit and she lent it to Kathy. The bottom fit perfectly, but the bra barely managed to cover the essentials, so she shoved a tank top over it and headed for the lake.

Joey and Kelly managed to find some old tractor tires and used them as life rafts to float peacefully next to each other. Kathy lay her towel on the short wooden pier and watched them drifting further away from the bank, both of them with their eyes closed, enjoying the sun on their faces.

Kyle was nowhere in sight, but was probably further away, swimming. Kathy closed her eyes and raised her face towards the sun. She knew her conversation with Kyle wasn't over, but maybe she'd had enough embarrassment for one day. She did however feel a tiny bit lighter, knowing at least someone on this earth didn't think her failed relationship was her doing.

And being able to laugh after all the drama, after her dumb idea... It gave her hope that her life wouldn't be all doom and gloom from then on.

The sound of footsteps had her opening her eyes and looking over her shoulder. Kyle walked toward her, wearing swimming trunks and nothing else.

Kathy stared, blinked twice, shook her head, then stared some more. "Wow," she whispered to herself.

How was it physically possible for him to be this perfect? High school boys were usually lanky and awkward or, if they were lucky, slim and muscular like Joey. Kyle wasn't slim.

His pecs were well defined, he had a six pack and deep lines on the sides, as if all he did all day was work out. He was an athlete, so obviously not on steroids. How could he be so buff?

"What?" he asked, sitting next to her.

"How much do you work out?" she spluttered before she could control herself.

Kyle laughed. "A lot. Though it's mostly basketball and combat training."

"Combat training?" She looked away from him to be able to think properly.

"Yup. Fighting, dodging, running. It's like a boot camp, actually."

She turned back to him, focusing on his face. "Why?"

He shrugged. "I've been doing it since I was a kid. It's a bit like second nature now." He nodded towards her. "I see you found a swimsuit."

"Half of one," Kathy mumbled. She eyed him again and hated herself for feeling the need to gape like an idiot. He wasn't a piece of meat!

"Your staring is very obvious. Just say what you want to say and get it out of your system."

"You look freaking photoshopped!" The moment the words were out, she slapped her mouth. An involuntary giggle escaped her lips.

Kyle laughed too, and her shoulders relaxed. If he was treating it like a joke, so would she.

"That's what Cecily said, too," he said.

Kathy's mood plummeted instantly as Cecily's ghost wrapped her arms around Kyle and hissed at her like an angry cat. Why did it bother her that he mentioned his girlfriend? Because the only reason they shared and talked and laughed together was that they were friends. Just friends. As much as he helped and took care of her, she had no claim over him. He didn't belong to her.