29. The V Card

Kyle closed his eyes and let the water from the shower pound his face, trying to wipe out the memory of the team's terrible practice. They were two weeks away from their next game and he'd never sucked so much. Though seeing all the crap on his mind, it was a wonder he could focus enough not to trip over his own feet.

After his last encounter with Cecily, he'd texted to ask how she was since he still had no idea if they were still on a break or still together or whatnot.

She'd told him to drop dead, and that was the end of that. He hadn't run into her at school anymore and he made no effort to see her. She probably expected him to start chasing her. Maybe later.

Between homework, basketball practice and band rehearsals, Kyle had barely managed to find three days a week to dedicate to Kay's training. She was okay with it, said she'd have time for homework and her truck and thanked him for his time. Which was really weird. Kay had started acting very formal towards him and they didn't talk much anymore.

She drove her mom's car to his place, focused on her workout, then left. And for some reason, it hurt. They'd decided they'd start on other things after Kay was fully caught up with her school work. Apparently, after a whole week, she still wasn't.

And then there were the whispers and rumors sweeping the school, focusing on Kay's conflict with Cecily and why Cecily hadn't done anything about it yet. Kyle was a little tense about that, too. Kay was keeping him away, so he had no way of knowing if Cecily was giving her a hard time.

A crappy situation had turned to shit very fast. And there was one more thing he'd been putting off and Chucho wasn't going to wait much longer.

Feeling completely drained, Kyle turned off the shower and stepped out to get dressed. He could hear the boys laughing in the changing room and he couldn't blame them. With a sigh, he stepped out to face them.

Joey was still in the shower, so only Pierce, Logan and Malcom sat huddled together on a bench, giggling like schoolgirls. They stopped the moment they saw him.

"It's okay, guys. I know I completely sucked, so let me have it," Kyle said, heading for his locker.

"Nah, Cap, you're just having a bad day. It was bound to happen to you sooner or later," Pierce said, waving his hand airily.

Kyle raised his eyebrows at him skeptically. Bad day was putting it mildly.

"We mean it, Kyle," Malcom said, getting up and clasping Kyle's shoulder. "You were off for one day. We're not worried. You always pull your shit together and deliver."

Kyle nodded and stuffed his equipment in the locker. If Malcom said it, he believed it. Malcom was the only one of them who wanted to go pro, so basketball was the most important thing to him. "Okay, then why did you fall eerily quiet when I walked in?"

The guys shared a knowing look, then Logan took a deep breath. "We were just discussing one of those things you're not interested in."

"Maybe he is," Malcom said.

"No way man, he's going out with Cecily," Pierce interjected.

"Maybe he wants to place a bet and offer moral support," Malcom insisted. "I'd love me some moral support."

This sounded weird as hell and Kyle got an extremely bad feeling in his gut. "What's up?"

"There's a bet amongst the guys in school about who's going to stamp Kathy Dickens' V card. Lots of cash involved and fun to be had. I'm running."

"So am I," Logan piped in. "Though it's hard going against Malcom. When he sets his eyes on a chick, he gets her."

Kyle's brain seemed to jam as he watched the boys discuss the chances of the participants. He knew what stamping a V card meant and it gave him a horrible feeling. "Who are we talking about again?"